Host Family

ianzunckel

Hi All,

Im moving over to Perth early September, on my own and dont know anyone that side. Is there possibly anyone that might consider hosting me for about a week, just to show me the ropes and help me find my feet. 

I know its a big ask, but any help would be greatly appreciated. 

TIA :) 

Hi Ian, May I ask how old you are, what you do etc. for a bit of background? I am slightly concerned that you do not have the confidence to do this on your own which could cause you to struggle to adjust and even result in you getting on the first flight home.  There is a huge South African community in most major cities and even in some of the regional cities and towns and we all look out for each other but I doubt you'd find many people who would be able to offer a "stranger" a place to live - some actually do and have done so many times but I suggest you plan your move here to be as independent as possible as soon  as possible.   There are many people who have done this either on their own or with their families and the majority never looked back, so there is every reason to take the leap of faith and just go for it, but you have to be mentally strong.  You must be very sure that this is what you want to do and the emotional preparation is just as important as deciding what to pack or where to stay.  Thousands of backpackers allover the world travel through countries they've never been to and doing so on their own.  Maybe if you have more of an adventrous approach you'd find it easier to get used to the idea of being on your own and having to find your own feet. It's definitely not easy but we all survive.  Reach out to people on the forum on Fecebook groups for migrants/expats or in your community immediately once you arrive, ask for help when you need it (don't suffer alone) and you'll be OK. Good luck! 

Hi Riekie, 

Thanks for the response. ive actully made contact with a long lost university friend who knows people in Perth and they will assist me for the first week. :) 

Great.  I  know it's all very daunting but you'll be OK - even if you end up having to do it on your own - you just have to get your mind right first.