Community language - Afrikaans

jacodj

Question

Hi all,

I'm trying to get those extra 5 skillselect points for Afrikaans as a community language. Generally, the assessment would be done by NAATI, but after contacting them, they indicated that "NAATI currently does not offer testing for the Afrikaans language.". 

My first language is indeed Afrikaans and this is reflected in my grade 12 certificate as I completed "Afrikaans - First language". 

If anyone can share any success with this, I would be eternally thankful. 

Jaco

7 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, jacodj said:

I also saw that list and several others. However, I can't find a list on Aus Immigration's website itself about what they'll recognise and not. 

I doubt you would find anything like that on Home Affairs website for the same reason you wont find any specific details of your Skills Assessment on their website. Being that all of this is done by a relevant Assessing Authority. In the case of the Credentialed Community Language this service is provided by NAATI. 

I may stand corrected, but if Afrikaans is not listed as one of the community languages that can be tested by NAATI then one cannot claim any points. One needs to test in one of the languages on the list. Also, as far as I am aware one cannot test abroad, thus you would need to travel to Australia to sit the test (if you are offshore that is).

44 minutes ago, jacodj said:

I've got this list, which shows Afrikaans. 

https://www.australia-migration.com/page/Languages/59

Having to come for a quick trip to sit the certification might be required, but agreed that won't be an option until NAATI actually creates that facility. 

I believe this might be an outdated list. Latest languages available for testing are available on:

https://www.naati.com.au/other-information/ccl-testing/

They doe however indicate that the languages for testing can change.

I also saw that list and several others. However, I can't find a list on Aus Immigration's website itself about what they'll recognise and not. 

12 minutes ago, frosty said:

I doubt you would find anything like that on Home Affairs website for the same reason you wont find any specific details of your Skills Assessment on their website. Being that all of this is done by a relevant Assessing Authority. In the case of the Credentialed Community Language this service is provided by NAATI. 

Thanks Frosty

From the legislation

MIGRATION REGULATIONS 1994 - SCHEDULE 6D

General points test for General Skilled Migration visas mentioned in subregulation 2.26AC(1)

Part 6D.9    Credentialled community language qualifications

Item At the time of invitation to apply for the visa, the applicant had ...
Number of points

6D91

a qualification in a particular language:

(a)  awarded or accredited by a body specified by the Minister in an instrument in writing for this item; and

(b)  at a standard for the language specified in the instrument

The instrument   https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018L00359

If memory holds correct Afrikaans has not been a language option for some time.