Sell or Rent SA Property

Candshow

Hi all

Curious to know if you sold or rented out your SA property?

We are busy considering which is the better option.  

I am thinking that renting our house is the better option as we have 3 dogs & if we sell, we would need to find a place to rent while we wait until everything is in place that will allow us to have the boys.  Not to mention the exorbitant prices of rentals at the moment - our home loan is half what the normal going rate is for a rental. 

We have no intention of coming back to SA once in Australia (unless for holidays) which is why we thinking we should sell....just stressing about how to coordinate life if we sell as opposed to the simpler renting for a while until we find a property in Australia.  

Plus we are going over on a 482 visa (medium stream) with a view to applying for a 186.  I know there are no guarantees we will be granted a 186.

Please let me know thoughts....we are so undecided!  

Edited by Candshow
Additional question

Depends on how quick you are likely to sell. It could take a while in the current climate? I would suggest you put it on the market and sell as soon as possible. You could always rent the house from the buyer until you leave. It is called occupational interest . Transfer is normally about two months if there is no issues. 

• 1 month later...

We had two properties.  We sold one before we left and rented out the other for about 2 years then sold it.  Renting it out was not worth all the hassle. 

If you're worried about where to live if you sell it before you leave, you could negotiate a long settlement or renting it once it is transferred to the new owner until you leave. 

You'll definitely have to rent in Australia initially - I don't think anyone bought a house in Australia prior to leaving and if they did, buying a house without seeing it or the area it is located in is not advisable. I can almost guarantee buyers regret.  

Don't stress too much about everything - it's a bumpy ride without guarantees and full of unknowns but it all works out in the end.