Pregnant and Immigration

NastashaBrandsma

Question

Hi! 

Has anyone had any experience with being pregnant and immigration? 

My husband and I are awaiting our EOI outcome, we're expecting the results in mid July. In the meantime, after loads of fertility issues, we've been given the all clear to try for a baby. 

We don't know whether to hold our horses, or go ahead and have a baby. 

Any information would be so greatly appreciated! 

Thanks! 

Nastasha

3 answers to this question

The only issue I see is that you might not be able to go for the medicals as they do a chest xray.  As far as I know your agent can put the application on hold in that instance.  

It's always a gamble if you decide to only apply for the visa after the baby is born because a lot can change and they might cancel that specific visa or remove your occupations from the list. 

• Thanks 1

As Chris mentions above the main issue is that the required Medical Exam involves an X-ray. 

Most people prefer not to undertake an X-ray at any stage of their pregnancy (although there are certain stages of pregnancy at which some Dr's will still provide this if requested).

If your application is in progress, Dept. of Home Affairs policy allows the Medical, and visa application process, to be delayed until you are able to undertake the X-ray. 

The Dept of Home Affairs is currently stating that they are taking 6 months to process 75% of 189 visa applications and 11 months to process 75% of 190 visa applications.  Note processing times can vary considerably over time and by individual circumstances. 

Add on a few months to undertake skills assessments etc.  plus that changes happen over time e.g. we are expecting changes to some of the skilled independent visa options during the next migration year including changes to the points and 2 new visa subclasses in November.

Given the various stages and that visa processing times can vary over time, many people would advise not to put your life on hold. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your replies, it's appreciated more than you know! I had absolutely no ideas about the x-ray, it didn't even cross my mind!!! Agreed that we should not put our lives on hold but we also want to do nothing to jeopardize our Visa. We are desperate to get into Australia! Thanks everyone and have a wonderful day!