IELTS

AlexEJ

Hi there.

My wife and I are planning to move to Aus. 

Our next step is to do the English test. I'm the main applicant and going over as an Electrician.

IELTS Academic or General...? I know my wife also needs to write it. Anyone knows? The IELTS people said they are not allowed to tell me which one.

Thanx

It depends on your occupation. I believe Electricians, like most trades, only needs IELTS General

I strongly recommend you write the Pearson PTE test instead as it is

• A lot easier
  • Cheaper
  • You can make a booking a few days ahead of time instead of weeks / months
  • You can rewrite the next week instead of waiting weeks / months
Edited by HappyIsland
Occupation = Electrician

Totally agree with Happyisland. We are going over on a 190 visa, my husband was the main applicant for Electrician. PTE for sure.

• Like 1

I can confirm if you decide to sit the IELTS test (because the PTE ACADEMIC test is not as widely available) that you are only required to sit the GENERAL test.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Don't do the IELTS unless you are very good at writing, they mark that section very strictly and chances of getting top marks are slim.

• 2 weeks later...

I found PTE Academic easier than IELTS General, where I missed the mark due to writing. However, I think I could have made it if I did the computer based test as I type much faster than I write.

PTE is also better organised and has shorter lead times when it comes to booking.

Some people struggle with the speaking part of the PTE, specifically pronunciation. My wife scored very low in the pronunciation part, even though there is nothing wrong with her English. She has a slight accent, but doesn't sound like Naas in the slightest.

I strongly suggest you do a scored PTE practice test before you go that route. 

https://www.ptepractice.com/