Is it possible to do the 189 application without an agent?

Hi All.

The South African crime, corruption & poor education system has finally got the best of us. My wife and I have made up our minds to leave this beautiful country and relocate to Sydney.

I have spoken to an immigration agent, and after he painted a rosy picture he then quoted me R190K. He said he has a  success rate of 99% .

I would like to find out, Is it possible to do the 189 application without an agent?  If so, can you please forward the requirements needed to do the application.

My wife (32 years) has an Internal Auditing Degree and also has her major subjects in Financial Accounting. She has further completed her SAIPA articles and has subsequently passed the board exams. She has 9 years’ work experience.

We would like to apply for a 189 visa.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Hello?

We did our application without an agent and got a grant.

The consensus here seems to be, if your case is straight forward, proceed on your own, if you have doubts, (experience, qualifications, medical issues) use an agent.

But even then 190k seems a stretch? Was that in fees only?

For more information and requirements, please visit here - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/permanent-resident/visa-options

Just be aware that auditors are currently on the pro rata list for the 189 and need a min of 85 points to be considered.

Is that quote for the whole process, or only the agent's fees? The whole process for a 189 for 2 people just cost us in the region of R120k, including the agent fees, visa fees, medicals, skills assessment, language tests etc. Ask around for some more quotes, agents frequently recommended on here are Stephen Dickson of migrateaus.com.au and those of Migrate2Oz. We had a very straight forward case but I still opted for an agent, I didn't want to be anxiously wondering if I'd made a mistake somewhere, so for me it was worth the price to not have that worry on my mind for half a year.

Edited by frankk
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Aleku said:

Hello?

We did our application without an agent and got a grant.

The consensus here seems to be, if your case is straight forward, proceed on your own, if you have doubts, (experience, qualifications, medical issues) use an agent.

But even then 190k seems a stretch? Was that in fees only?

For more information and requirements, please visit here - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/permanent-resident/visa-options

Good Day

I also agree 190k is a lot. It includes everything from start till end of process.  I have doubts about her qualifications. She completed her bachelor of technology in internal auditing (BTECH Internal Audit) Completed SAIPA articles in financial accounting. Her 9 year work experience may not match her degree. 

How long ago did you do your application and how long it took to be granted?

16 hours ago, F1veClaw said:

Just be aware that auditors are currently on the pro rata list for the 189 and need a min of 85 points to be considered.

Good Day

That maybe a problem because we have a total of 80 points. The news I am getting the longer we stall with the application its harder to get in.

15 hours ago, frankk said:

Is that quote for the whole process, or only the agent's fees? The whole process for a 189 for 2 people just cost us in the region of R120k, including the agent fees, visa fees, medicals, skills assessment, language tests etc. Ask around for some more quotes, agents frequently recommended on here are Stephen Dickson of migrateaus.com.au and those of Migrate2Oz. We had a very straight forward case but I still opted for an agent, I didn't want to be anxiously wondering if I'd made a mistake somewhere, so for me it was worth the price to not have that worry on my mind for half a year.

Good Day

It’s the complete process including all fees. I am currently shopping around for quotes. I also did the online assessment via Migrate2Oz few mins ago waiting for response. I would like to do the process ourselves and utilize the money towards shipping cost. With that in mind, I also can’t afford any delays and mistakes with the application. I need this to be done fast and efficient. I may be forced to use an agent.

hi, the pure agents fees should be around R40k (or it was for us 3 years ago) the Visa fees  are standard so at best you can save  is the  odd 40k  if you do it yourself, but as you mention you do risk messing it up.  Note 189 Visa are hard to get at the moment for auditors and accountants (90 points) - look at 190 and regional visas (a good agent should be able to help you with all this)  we used  NewWorldImmigration at it worked well.

We are using Tony from SkylarkMigration. If you want an idea on fee's, his company has a glassdoor policy. Here is the list of the fees:

https://www.skylarkmigration.com.au/pricing

He has gone the extra mile for us, and is extremely transparent (Reads: Not a salesman who will BS you anywhere along the path).

19 hours ago, Sharks said:

Good Day

That maybe a problem because we have a total of 80 points. The news I am getting the longer we stall with the application its harder to get in.

There are state options for the 190, and 489. You are correct though, when I started researching this process in 2016, 65 points would get you a 189 invite quickly. Now that is the min to even apply. There is also the option of transfers if your wife works for the Big4

On 5/21/2019 at 3:38 AM, Sharks said:

Good Day

I also agree 190k is a lot. It includes everything from start till end of process.  I have doubts about her qualifications. She completed her bachelor of technology in internal auditing (BTECH Internal Audit) Completed SAIPA articles in financial accounting. Her 9 year work experience may not match her degree. 

How long ago did you do your application and how long it took to be granted?

Hello, sorry for the late reply. My timeline is:

Dec 2017 - Wrote ielts

Feb 2018 - Lodged EOI (at 70pts)

Oct 2018 - Got invite to lodge 189

March 2019 - VISA granted (first entry by Nov 2019)