Roxanne

Arriving ...

Roxanne

Hello everyone, 

This forum has been absolutely invaluable throughout the process of applying for my visa, and has been a constant source of support since. 

I remember finding and going through an extensive list of "100 things to do's before leaving SA" compiled by someone on this forum (Give that person a Bells ... and I'm happy to report that I've completed most items on that list). Does the same, or similar, list exist for when arriving in Aus? I've started making a list for myself, but it would be great to see if I am on the right track. 

• Like 1

Riekie

Hi Roxanne, 

I'm glad our list was helpful and it's a great idea to start compiling a list of things to do once you arrive in Australia! 

Why don't you start a new topic "101 things to do when you arrive in Australia" and post your list, inviting others to add to it... It could be the forum's next great achievement :ilikeit: and you'll be one of the forumites to gets the bells on that one 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ChrisH

The list is different if you have PR as you're eligible for medicare.

Our list was:

• Get a local SIM card.
  • Activate bank account (opened from South Africa).  This involves updating your address and phone numbers with the bank.  Also get them to print a couple of statements with the new address on it.  They mail your card to you.
  • Apply for centrelink and medicare, again they mail the card to you.
  • Once you have your medicare and bank cards, you can convert your license using the cards, passport and statement from the bank as proof of address.
  • Once you have your license, you can pretty much apply for anything.

The order of this list is important as it effectively collects the documents you need to apply for your license and rentals and stuff after that.

We stayed with a mate so we didn't have to worry about rentals initially.

• Like 1

LM17

I wrote this a while ago....not a detailed checklist but some handy points scattered in there................

• Like 2

Roxanne
On 5/15/2019 at 2:05 AM, ChrisH said:

The list is different if you have PR as you're eligible for medicare.

Our list was:

• Get a local SIM card.
  • Activate bank account (opened from South Africa).  This involves updating your address and phone numbers with the bank.  Also get them to print a couple of statements with the new address on it.  They mail your card to you.
  • Apply for centrelink and medicare, again they mail the card to you.
  • Once you have your medicare and bank cards, you can convert your license using the cards, passport and statement from the bank as proof of address.
  • Once you have your license, you can pretty much apply for anything.

The order of this list is important as it effectively collects the documents you need to apply for your license and rentals and stuff after that.

We stayed with a mate so we didn't have to worry about rentals initially.

Thanks, this is really helpful. 

What is Centrelink? I have never heard of it before.

And with regards to Medicare, do they need anything other than passport / visa? 

ChrisH
16 hours ago, Roxanne said:

What is Centrelink?

Centrelink is the department of government that manages welfare, allowances, medicare... essentially any payment or assistance that you'd get from the government.  Take your passport, visa and proof of address that the bank gave you.  Did it 2 years ago so can't recall if that is enough.

I can't recall if you have kids, but this is also where your child daycare benefit comes from.  They pay up to 50% of your daycare fees (dependent on family income and the hours that both parents work) up to a maximum of $10,000 per child per year.  Suddenly the $8000 for the 189 visa doesn't seem like that much does it!

• Thanks 1

Roxanne

Amazing, thank you @ChrisH

Another question (😉), when you say "take your visa" ... Mine is electronically connected to my passport, so I'm assuming Centrelink would be able to access that? Otherwise I will print out the letter I received confirming visa off Immi. 

Nev

Yep, even though it is electronic you will often need to "show" it

Just print a copy of the email you got that has all the details and use that when you need it

ChrisH
On 5/17/2019 at 3:17 PM, Roxanne said:

Mine is electronically connected to my passport, so I'm assuming Centrelink would be able to access that?

I can't remember if they could access it, but just print the visa grant notice PDF's confirming the details of your visa.

• Like 1