Arriving ...

Roxanne

Hello everyone, 

This forum has been absolutely invaluable throughout the process of applying for my visa, and has been a constant source of support since. 

I remember finding and going through an extensive list of "100 things to do's before leaving SA" compiled by someone on this forum (Give that person a Bells ... and I'm happy to report that I've completed most items on that list). Does the same, or similar, list exist for when arriving in Aus? I've started making a list for myself, but it would be great to see if I am on the right track. 

• Like 1

Hi Roxanne, 

I'm glad our list was helpful and it's a great idea to start compiling a list of things to do once you arrive in Australia! 

Why don't you start a new topic "101 things to do when you arrive in Australia" and post your list, inviting others to add to it... It could be the forum's next great achievement :ilikeit: and you'll be one of the forumites to gets the bells on that one 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The list is different if you have PR as you're eligible for medicare.

Our list was:

• Get a local SIM card.
  • Activate bank account (opened from South Africa).  This involves updating your address and phone numbers with the bank.  Also get them to print a couple of statements with the new address on it.  They mail your card to you.
  • Apply for centrelink and medicare, again they mail the card to you.
  • Once you have your medicare and bank cards, you can convert your license using the cards, passport and statement from the bank as proof of address.
  • Once you have your license, you can pretty much apply for anything.

The order of this list is important as it effectively collects the documents you need to apply for your license and rentals and stuff after that.

We stayed with a mate so we didn't have to worry about rentals initially.

• Like 1

I wrote this a while ago....not a detailed checklist but some handy points scattered in there................

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 2:05 AM, ChrisH said:

The list is different if you have PR as you're eligible for medicare.

Our list was:

• Get a local SIM card.
  • Activate bank account (opened from South Africa).  This involves updating your address and phone numbers with the bank.  Also get them to print a couple of statements with the new address on it.  They mail your card to you.
  • Apply for centrelink and medicare, again they mail the card to you.
  • Once you have your medicare and bank cards, you can convert your license using the cards, passport and statement from the bank as proof of address.
  • Once you have your license, you can pretty much apply for anything.

The order of this list is important as it effectively collects the documents you need to apply for your license and rentals and stuff after that.

We stayed with a mate so we didn't have to worry about rentals initially.

Thanks, this is really helpful. 

What is Centrelink? I have never heard of it before.

And with regards to Medicare, do they need anything other than passport / visa? 

16 hours ago, Roxanne said:

What is Centrelink?

Centrelink is the department of government that manages welfare, allowances, medicare... essentially any payment or assistance that you'd get from the government.  Take your passport, visa and proof of address that the bank gave you.  Did it 2 years ago so can't recall if that is enough.

I can't recall if you have kids, but this is also where your child daycare benefit comes from.  They pay up to 50% of your daycare fees (dependent on family income and the hours that both parents work) up to a maximum of $10,000 per child per year.  Suddenly the $8000 for the 189 visa doesn't seem like that much does it!

• Thanks 1

Amazing, thank you @ChrisH

Another question (😉), when you say "take your visa" ... Mine is electronically connected to my passport, so I'm assuming Centrelink would be able to access that? Otherwise I will print out the letter I received confirming visa off Immi. 

Yep, even though it is electronic you will often need to "show" it

Just print a copy of the email you got that has all the details and use that when you need it

On 5/17/2019 at 3:17 PM, Roxanne said:

Mine is electronically connected to my passport, so I'm assuming Centrelink would be able to access that?

I can't remember if they could access it, but just print the visa grant notice PDF's confirming the details of your visa.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Following on from what has already been said above, my family and I are arriving in Melbourne on 189 visas in 4 weeks' time. We land on a Saturday morning and we are going to stay with family in Geelong for 2 nights. I have already opened a bank account so the first thing that I will do that morning is to visit the bank and activate the account. I take it that I can just use my sister-in-law's address until we find our own place?

I know that there are a number of other tasks that need to be ticked off the list asap (Centrelink, Tax number, Medicare) so my wife and I have booked driving license appointments at the Geelong centre first thing on the Monday morning before we head back to Melbourne. Is this too soon as I am not sure that we will have the correct documentation by then? I can get a bank statement but my wife won't be able to as she doesn't have a bank account. Has anyone managed to get their license so soon after landing?

We are in Adelaide, South Australia and were were able to Collect Bank cards, Register for Medicare and obtain Drivers License all in one day. I would suggest you wife open a Bank Account as well in the meantime as this is what we used for proof of address for our Drivers License. We stayed with family in the start as well and just gave this address to the Bank when we went to collect cards. We then asked the bank to print and stamp a letter stating we have an account with them. The driving center accepted this letter as proof of address. The department also wanted our Bank cards as one of the proof of ID, so it helped that we had collected these first. Not sure if they would accept foreign cards for this (or if this is only a South Australia thing, but its something to keep in mind.) Also remember to take printed copy of your VISA grant or VEVO check with for your Medicare. We forgot to, but luckily were able to print them there. Tax File Number you can apply for online so don't need to go in anywhere for that.

• Like 1

@frosty thank for the help. How were you able to get your bank cards on the same day? I thought that once you go into the branch for the first time you show your identification and then a few days later you receive the bank card in the post. Which bank was that? I am with Westpac.

Also for Centrelink and Medicare do you need to book in advance or can you just go in on the day without a booking?

We are with ANZ. Did the online application from South Africa and indicated our arrival date. They ordered the cards beforehand so that they are ready for collection when you activate the Account. I would assume it is the same for Westpac? You could possible follow up on that one. No need to book for Medicare, we just walked in. As far as I know though you cannot sign up for any benefits on Centerlink when just arriving on 189 Visa, or at least that is what we were told when we registered for Medicare. But its done at the same place so you can just ask them about it as well.

I called Westpac and unfortunately they will only order the cards once I have been into the branch. I guess my plan on that Monday is to first go to Westpac and activate the account (can't believe banks only open at 9:30!), getting a bank statement at the same time that shows my sister-in-law's address in Geelong. I will then go to my drivers license appointment using my passport and bank statement as 2 forms of identification. After that I will go sort out Centrelink and Medicare. I'm hoping that it won't take too long as I'll do everything in Geelong before heading up to Melbourne later that day.

Good luck. Also keep in mind that you will use your Medicare card quite often as an additional form of ID. Might be worth having a copy of that as well for the drivers license just in case.

15 hours ago, frosty said:

As far as I know though you cannot sign up for any benefits on Centerlink when just arriving on 189 Visa

You can get the childcare subsidy if you have kids in daycare.

11 hours ago, Hunts said:

I will then go to my drivers license appointment using my passport and bank statement as 2 forms of identification

Have a look at this link: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/evidence-of-identity/types-of-identity-documents

The most you will need to provide for any application is:

• one Category A evidence document (Evidence of existence and link between identity and the applicant. e.g. Passport or full Australian birth certificate)
  • one Category B evidence document (Evidence of use of that identity in the community. e.g. Medicare or bank card)
  • evidence of Victorian residence (if your address is not shown on the Category A or Category B documents)

I see they do mention this under category B documents: Any Australian or overseas credit card or account card from a bank, building society or credit union.

You could try your luck with an existing credit card, but otherwise you'd have to wait for either of the Medicard or bank card.  In Queensland we had to wait for both because they require 2 category B documents.

Yip, you get full Centerlink and medicare benefits if you are here on 189 from Day 1 (ie permanent Resident visa) 

Its just takes a while to set everything up (but they back date your rebates if you apply for any) 

Edited by LM17

We had to wait almost a week for our bank card.  We brought some money over on one of those international travel cards and used that for the first week. 

• 4 weeks later...

@frosty I am moving to adelaide next month and you seem from your post to be very organized. I am going to take your advice on the ANZ account and open it online for collection. I will more than likely be staying in an airbnb for my first couple weeks. What documents do you need to collect your bank cards? Where is the driving center to do the driving license and what is the process? What is a Tax file number, is this like your SA SARS tax number? where do I register for it online? If you have any advice on renting a property and how about doing that it would be much appreciated.