Booking flights before having the Visa

RAINKINGx1

Hi All

We applied for our 189 on 01 February 2019. According to the sites its currently a 6 month wait until Grant. I have gotten some money recently and instead of it wasting away in my account I was thinking of buying our flight tickets.

I was thinking of buying them for around the 20th of September. Is it safe to do this ? or do you think its a huge risk ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, RAINKINGx1 said:

Hi All

We applied for our 189 on 01 February 2019. According to the sites its currently a 6 month wait until Grant. I have gotten some money recently and instead of it wasting away in my account I was thinking of buying our flight tickets.

I was thinking of buying them for around the 20th of September. Is it safe to do this ? or do you think its a huge risk ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, I don't think it's a good idea to do so. I just saw a post where a person got her grant on the 3rd of May and has to enter Australia before the 16th of May. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the response , however I believe the 1st entry is linked to Police clearance or Medical clearance dates ( Whichever expires first ). Our Police clearance is on 08 February and medicals after that so I would think our first entry would be no later than 08 February 2020.

Can anyone with experience advise ?

It’s never a good idea to book flights prior to having your visa in hand, whether it’s a visitor’s visa or a 189. Anything can happen that is out of your control and then you incur the extra expense to change or cancel your flights. Nothing is ever guaranteed until it is in black and white - just my opinion! But, it is totally up to you.

• Thanks 1

Rather wait. Nothing worse than waiting for that grant letter and hoping your planned date works out. We waited it out and once received the grant planned everything from there.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RAINKINGx1 said:

Thanks for the response , however I believe the 1st entry is linked to Police clearance or Medical clearance dates ( Whichever expires first ). Our Police clearance is on 08 February and medicals after that so I would think our first entry would be no later than 08 February 2020.

Can anyone with experience advise ?

It is, I think thats the point @ShireenAnn was trying to make.  Both those documents are valid for 1 year which means that visa had to have been granted way above the suggested 6 month period.

• Like 2

I might mention that some years ago (2009-10??) at a time when 175 and 176 visas (the equivalent of the 189 and 190 today) were being processed within 2-3 months, the Dept had a change in Policy.  Without any notice the Dept stopped processing the 175 and 176 visas for a period of about 6 months - and many had to wait 1-2 years before they saw any movement again. 

Thanks for all the advice , we have decided to wait for the grant letter before booking or paying for anything. Thanks again for all the advice.