Languages in School

Traceylloyd

Hello. Can you please tell me what languages are compulsory or optional for South Africa kids that have immigrated to Australia?  English is the first language, are there second languages?  Kids ages are 11 years and 6 years. 

There is no compulsory second language in the same way as RSA. Primary school do a language for fun only. I’ve heard of Japanese, German, Chinese and Indonesian being some of the schools choice. It’s not a big deal and there isn’t a certain level that needs to be attained. 

A language can be chosen as an elective for high school. People I know have chosen French German and Chinese. Every school is different in what they offer for this. 

Agreed with @RYLC. My kids are younger, but learning bits of Japanese in Kinder (equivalent to year before Grade R). The local schools then again do "some" Japanese from Year 3 onwards, or introduce some of it in Performing Arts (like learning Japanese words to Vader Jakob's tune ;) ) but for fun. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi people, can you tell me how only Afrikaans speaking children get along in Australian schools maybe ages from 5 to 8 starting school in Australia