Number of qualifying years of work experience

craigshap1

We are submitting an EOI as a management consultant (Code 224711).

My wife has already received a positive assessment of her occupation from Vetassess.

In total she has almost eight and a half years’ experience as a management consultant (from 2011 onwards). However, in calculating the number of years assessed positively by Vetassess, Vetassess excludes her first year of work as they say that year of employment “was used to calculate the qualifying period required to meet the skill level of the nominate profession”. As a result, Vetassess has only assessed 7.2 year positively.

When completing her EOI, it asks her to list all prior and current employment roles, which she did. This prior employment which was entered in the EOI included the one year which was excluded by Vetassess. As a result of the information entered in the EOI (which was not at all false, but included the one year excluded by Vetasses), she had over 8 years’ experience and received an additional 5 points.

Therefore the indicative score on Vetassess in 5 points higher than we expected based on the Vetassess advice.

My question is: how many years’ experience will actually qualify as experience? – is the Vetassess letter the right amount of experience, or is the experience entered in the EOI based on all prior jobs correct?

If it is the Vetassess outcome letter which is the correct number of years, then how should we enter the information of employment history on the EOI, given that her one job at a consulting firm (which lasted over three years) did relate to management consulting but Vetassess excluded the first year in their calculation? Although true, have we entered the information incorrectly into the EOI?

Can you please advise how to correctly enter her work experience, given the Vetassess advice which excluded one year.

While the employment history entered on the EOI (which includes the first year as a management consultant) is correct and true, we do not want to be disqualified for entering information which is then deemed untrue when verified against the Vetassess advice.

• 2 months later...

I have had the same question as VETASSESS ignored several of the years I worked for myself. I contacted the agent today and she said that the immigration dept does not work on the years calculated by VETASSESS.

However, I am still not 100% sure so I will be glad if someone can confirm............

Regards Johan

1 hour ago, forrie said:

I have had the same question as VETASSESS ignored several of the years I worked for myself. I contacted the agent today and she said that the immigration dept does not work on the years calculated by VETASSESS.

However, I am still not 100% sure so I will be glad if someone can confirm............

Regards Johan

As far as I understand it, you list the total number of years assessed, not the number of years worked. To confirm when entering the EOI you capture the years assessed as being relevant by the assessing authority and not those total which you assess are related yourself.

Edited by F1veClaw

When you add an employment period there is an option to select if the period is relevant or not. For the periods deemed relevant by your assessing authority you will mark them as such. You can add all the other periods of employments and then just don’t mark them as relevant. Only the periods mark as relevant will be taken into consideration by the system for points calculation.

1 hour ago, frosty said:

When you add an employment period there is an option to select if the period is relevant or not. For the periods deemed relevant by your assessing authority you will mark them as such. You can add all the other periods of employments and then just don’t mark them as relevant. Only the periods mark as relevant will be taken into consideration by the system for points calculation.

I worked for 17 years now in my skill (of which 12 years seld-employed) but VETASSESS only included some of those years based on the docs submitted (so I will have to do a new assessment with new proof if I want all last 10 years included). So will the immigration dept look strictly at what VETASSESS included or at my total previous work experience based on the docs I submit to them?

Edited by forrie

They would most probably only be interested in the years that VETASSESS deemed relevant. So you will have to provide DHA with the same documents you supplied for your Skills Assessment. When you include the other periods of employment and mark them “not relevant “ on your EOI you are only doing so to give a more “complete” picture of your career. I do not know if it is specifically necessary to include information on all you employment over the years, however I always try to give them the whole picture. Just makes your application more complete. The points you claim will be for the periods that your assessing authority deemed relevant, so be sure not to claim points for other periods of employment.

• Thanks 1

Hello Guys, I can confirm that Frosty is correct.  You can include all your employment on your EOI but only tick the relevant box for the work experience that has been assessed as relevant by your skills assessment body.

If you over claim your work experience and are then invited to apply your subsequent visa application will be refused and you will lose your application charge.

Regards

So I will have to redo my VETASSESS if I want certain years to be included that was not included by skills assessment? 

So, if your skills assessment is therefore 2 years old, they will also not consider the last 2 years of your work since it was not included in the skills assessment? Why is the skills assessment then valid for 3 years?

Edited by forrie