Salary in Sydney

saffer76

Hi all! Husband has been offered an engineering job in Sydney. Salary is 110 000 per annum. As we are coming on 482 visa, we need to pay for schooling (3000-5000 AUD per child...we have two). Package includes private medical aid plus super anno. Do you think our family of 4 can survive on this for a year with only my husband working?  

110 000 plus super plus private medical aid is not bad. I don't know about costs in Sydney, we live in Melbourne. For one year you just make it work. You can spend less on everything. Just go on a tight budget and live frugally. The sacrifice is worth it for what you gain in the long run. Many of us started on small salaries (not that 110 plus super is small) and made it work. I think you could make it work.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

110,000 is definitely doable. You will just have to live frugally as @Mel-B has already mentioned and remember many of the excesses we use in Africa are not as important here.

I remember when we first lived in Sydney, we spent a long time looking for a "safe" neighbourhood and then bought a car. We later found that everywhere is safe compared to S.Africa, we didn't have to sign an expensive lease on a house and public transport is very very good, we didn't even need the car. Just look at life with a fresh perspective.

• Thanks 1

Inner city rent can be very expensive - $800+ for a 2 bedroom unit. The same amount can get you a 4 bedroom house in the suburbs but then you have to consider travel time and costs (tolls & petrol if you're driving, or public transport).  We lived in the suburbs and the drive could be up to 90 minutes to the city in peak hour or about 1 hour 15 mins by public transport often with standing room only.  We now live in the inner-west and it takes 10 mins by bus or car (but then parking is $20+ per day and only on the early bird rate which requires you to arrive before a certain time and leave after a certain time - usually before 9 and after 3. so you've got to weigh up the options of lifestyle vs affordability.  We're now moving to the northern beaches and will probably spend more than an hour getting to and from work but it's at the beach so we're willing to make that sacrifice. 

If you have no debt (monthly loan/credit card/car repayments) you're looking at about $6500 to $7000 per month if you're renting - not considering any school fees/school uniforms.  Initial set-up costs will include getting a car if you need one and I recommend buying a cheapy for cash as it's all you'll need in the city. (Cars basicially decrease in value as soon as you drive out the car lot). It's also better to have a small car to make finding a parking spot in the city easier.  Many streets have no parking spaces marked out so you have to squeeze into whatever is available.  You may have to buy furniture if you didn't bring any - that can cost you about $10 000 to $20 000 depending on where you buy. White goods and electronics on top of that could add another $10 000+ (The amount for monthly expenses above include rent, internet, phone, mobile phones, water, electricity, gas, foxtel, groceries, insurance, transport, minimal clothing and entertainment etc. but not private health which can be around $500 per month for a family of 4, depending on your level of cover).

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Thank you SO much. A huge help! My husband's job is luckily out of city - in Bankstown so hopefully that will save us. Don't know where I'll be working eventually but I'm a teacher so hopefully I can find work near where we end up living.

Huge thanks again for taking the time to help!

Hi, I work at Bankstown airport and bought a house in Georges Fair in Moorebank next to the Georges river. Rent here is cheaper than close to the city and traffic is less and we have three train stations (Holsworthy, Warwick Farm & Liverpool) nearby. Also a lot of South African live down the road in the Sutherland Shire. 

• Like 1

Thank you! Who do you work for? My husband's job will also be at the airport! With Safran...he worked for them here in Jozi.