Recent Citizenship & the Australian Election

TeeTMI

Recent Citizenship & the Australian Election
If you have recently become an Australian citizen (aged 18 or over) be aware that you are required to vote in the Australian federal election.

https://www.aec.gov.au/enrol/
2019 federal election
If you are an Australian citizen aged 18 years or older you are required to vote in the federal election.
You must be correctly enrolled by 8pm local time Thursday 18 April 2019. To enrol, complete the online form below. If you are already enrolled but need to update your details, you can update your name or update your address online, but you must do so before 8pm Thursday 18 April 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not looking forward to being forced to choose between all the animals in this zoo, or do we call it a circus? Not sure. The stuff comimg out of the polies pie holes at the this stage makes trumpnado look like a puppy dog. 

How stupid do they think we are? Promising millions of "free" blood tests that are already covered by Medicare.

I think I'll just stick th ballot paper to dart board, close my eyes and throw. If it hits Palmer I'll call foul and try again.

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju
  • Like 2

Surely not harder than choosing an SA party? Or is it...?

Maybe enlighten us on this side of the Indian Ocean as to the state of Aussie politics.

always a 2 horse race here. compulsory voting....risking fines if you do not vote. goes against the philosophy that one should be allowed to abstain from voting in a democracy

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 10:54 PM, Dill said:

Is one allowed to spoil one’s vote?

had same qn :)

On 4/17/2019 at 5:45 PM, HadEnoughofJuju said:

Not looking forward to being forced to choose between all the animals in this zoo, or do we call it a circus? Not sure. The stuff comimg out of the polies pie holes at the this stage makes trumpnado look like a puppy dog. 

How stupid do they think we are? Promising millioms of "free" boold tests that are already covered by Medicare.

I think I'll just stick th ballot paper to dart board, close my eyes and throw. If it hits Palmer I'll call foul and try again.

I feel your pain but it's still better than choosing between a corrupt ANC, Juju (your favourite 😜) and the DA who, with all good intentions, have a snowball's hope in hell to win...  Here you have a voice and a choice however frustrating.  We gotta keep the bastards honest as Peter Mailler famously said.   

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 10:54 PM, Dill said:

Is one allowed to spoil one’s vote?

You can literally fold and throw a blank form in the box - as long as you arrive to vote, you can do with that privilege what you want.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2019 at 10:21 AM, new2forum said:

always a 2 horse race here. compulsory voting....risking fines if you do not vote. goes against the philosophy that one should be allowed to abstain from voting in a democracy

Less than half the voting population in the USA showed up to vote cause they did not want to vote for Hillary and thought Trump would never win.  See who they got now....   

Have to agree Riekie, I'm glad I no longer have to vote in vain. The only reason I voted in RSA was so I could moan. Other than that there was no choice. A vote fore any one of the 99 out of the 100 (however many there are) ridiculously named parties is a vote fpr the ANC. When will people learn that if they don't want the ANC in power they all need to stand together and vote for 1 party as an opposition. Whichever party that may be.

I think the soccer party or maybe even the dagga party would do a better job at running the country.

• Like 1

Or you could vote for the pirate party in Oz.... 🤣 I kid you not!

4 hours ago, Riekie said:

See who they got now

what happens if you dont like either option?

Yeah, my area finally got rid of bloody Tony Abbott. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 12:14 PM, new2forum said:

what happens if you dont like either option?

Then you vote for the lesser of all evils so you don't end up with the worse one  😎