Passports

Roxanne

Hello all, 

Here's my situation .. 

I received my visa on 02.04 (yay).

When I applied, I knew full well that my passport expires only in 2022, but thought the process of renewing from Aus would be simple. 

Wrong. 

I have less than 10 weeks until I leave, and my options are: 

1) Leave (with my current passport) and start the hassle of renewing from there once I have settled.

2) Take a day, go to Home Affairs, apply for a new passport and then just transfer the visa once received. 

I'm heading towards option 2. 

HOWEVER: What if, by the time my flight rolls around, I have no yet received my new passport? I don't know what the current waiting times are for passports, but I have heard horror stories.

If I leave on my current 'old' passport, can my husband bring my new passport with him when he arrives in Aus? (btw, his expires in 2021, and is renewing his, but he has time to wait for the new one) If this is the case - him bringing my new one over in his luggage - I should be able to just transfer the visa from there, correct? 

Which bank are you with? Not sure if you are aware that there are a few branches which have a DHA department. You can apply online and go to the branch to do the biometrics. It is more convenient than going to your local DHA office. I had my appointment at my Bank branch 6 December 2018 and my Passport was ready for collection 4 January 2019. Once you have the new Passport then your Visa Details can be updated online without any issues.

2 hours ago, frosty said:

Which bank are you with? Not sure if you are aware that there are a few branches which have a DHA department. You can apply online and go to the branch to do the biometrics. It is more convenient than going to your local DHA office. I had my appointment at my Bank branch 6 December 2018 and my Passport was ready for collection 4 January 2019. Once you have the new Passport then your Visa Details can be updated online without any issues.

I have a feeling that is only in GP 😐

But if it is not - second the bank thing. I got mine in 11 working days.

4 hours ago, F1veClaw said:

I have a feeling that is only in GP 😐

But if it is not - second the bank thing. I got mine in 11 working days.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/government/277895-all-the-bank-branches-where-you-can-get-your-smart-id-and-passport.html

Seems that there is one Branch at Canal Walk. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Roxanne said:

What if, by the time my flight rolls around, I have no yet received my new passport?

It is actually very quick once you've applied.  I'm talking like 3 - 5 working days quick.  Just do it!

Yes agree with ChrisH - just do it.

To transfer your Aus visa from your old passport to your new one is very simple and quick. Did it easily online for my step son through my immiaccount and we had no problems when we arrived here.

I am in Australia now and my passport expires in May 2020 however I am trying to decided if it is better to fly home for a small visit and apply for a new passport or to try and deal with the embassy here for 6 - 12 months.

Also something to keep in mind.... I've read on a couple of Facebook posts that the South African border police does not allow you to leave South Africa if you have less than 6 months left on your passport.  This would be a major stuff up if you've gone in for a visit and they don't allow you to leave.

Thanks for the input, everyone. 

I bit the bullet and sat at Home Affairs on Friday (wow, what a mission!), and they assure me that it will be here in just a few weeks, so hopefully my new passport is here before I fly out. 

Once you have done the necessary, the passports usually come rather quick!  I am sure you will have them!