How long did you wait for your invite?

LekkerOuJan

Just trying to calm my nerves a little I guess, also, the agent I employed seems unable to provide good communication, if any at all. Almost every email I sent her has gone unanswered. It seems that once they have that signed contract they practically ignore you going forward.

Frustration aside, I think my EOI was lodged with about 75 points. This is what I calculated from spreadsheets I found online that explain the point totals. My agent vaguely said that they were lodging my EOI back around the end of February and I haven't really heard much from her since, absolutely nothing about my EOI at least. Not even a confirmation that it was lodged or what the final points tally was. (I'm being scammed, aren't I?)

So yeah, my basic question is, how long did you guys have to wait from lodging EOI to actually getting the invite? (I think mine was lodged under 189, and I'm an engineer) My girlfriend is also concerned that the Aus government has basically put a freeze on everything until after the election.

Where did you find this agent, and is it a MARA registered agent? Most of these questions should have been discussed with you even prior to you submitting the EOI? 

Which field are you in (Mechanical, Civil etc.) as the point requirements may differ. I assume you have had a Skills Assessment done already through Engineers Australia? Maybe give an indication of your points breakdown as well (ANZSCO Code, Experience Claimed, English Proficiency Results, Partner Skills) for forum members to give better feedback.

We did the process without the use of an agent so I cannot comment on how the agents do things, but I am well aquatinted with the whole process. We submitted November 2018 and are flying out 19 May on 189 Visa. Both wife and I had Assessments done through EA.

Edited by frosty

Where did you find this agent, and is it a MARA registered agent?

Found them on the MARA website, and yes the owner of the company is registered with MARA even if the person I dealt with directly isn't. I spoke to a bunch of agents beforehand and this seemed to be the norm.

As for discussing how long it would take to get the invite the only answer I could get was anywhere between a month and 2 years, and then the visa approval process will take at least 9 months after the invite, no matter what. Everything is very vague and the agency has left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Which field are you in (Mechanical, Civil etc.) as the point requirements may differ. I assume you have had a Skills Assessment done already through Engineers Australia?

Industrial, and skills assessment went through within about 3 days of submitting my paperwork, that much went through quickly and easily. (15 points) I also have 9 years experience (15 points). Got full marks on the Pearson English test (20 points), fall in the 33 - 39 age bracket (25 points). For a total of 75 points. Again though, I calculated this myself from information available on the immi website and other sources.

Might be worth noting that I am immigrating alone, my partner is Australian and isn't on my application at all.

This thread: 

We've been using it for more than a year for everyone to track the time from lodge to invite to visa - loads of info!

I agree that your agent sounds dodgy. 

Strange that there is so little information provided by the agent. Did the agent apply for the Skills Assessment 3 days after you submitted the documents or did you actually receive your Outcome Letter in 3 days?

Once you receive an invitation it can still be well under 9 months, one does not necessarily need to wait that long. You can take a look at the following trackers which give an indication on the waiting times. https://myimmitracker.com/en/au/trackers/consolidated-visa-tracker-sc189

18 hours ago, LekkerOuJan said:

Found them on the MARA website, and yes the owner of the company is registered with MARA even if the person I dealt with directly isn't. I spoke to a bunch of agents beforehand and this seemed to be the norm.

Just for information - Registered Migration Agents register as individuals (a business is not registered), you may work with e.g. an admin person within the business.  If there has been no communication and your emails are being ignored then you might contact the Registered Migration directly.  

We have a web site (the information is also available from the Dept of Home Affairs) showing how many points were required for a 189 invitation - over time.

https://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/DaystoInvite
You have however stated above that you have applied as an Industrial Engineer - if so then you will see in the ProRata table (I also publish this on this forum as they are updated over time) that occupations with the ANZSCO code 2335** (incl Ind Eng) in the last round of published information (there has been another round since but not yet published) were invited if they had at least 75 points and their EOI had been submitted before the 24/2/19.      

12 hours ago, frosty said:

Strange that there is so little information provided by the agent. Did the agent apply for the Skills Assessment 3 days after you submitted the documents or did you actually receive your Outcome Letter in 3 days?

Once you receive an invitation it can still be well under 9 months, one does not necessarily need to wait that long. You can take a look at the following trackers which give an indication on the waiting times. https://myimmitracker.com/en/au/trackers/consolidated-visa-tracker-sc189

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. I received the outcome of the skills assessment within about 3 days of requesting it. This was way back in January already.

I did take a look at that site and trackers, it did not do my confidence any good at all. Looks like the average wat for an invite is about 3 to 6 months, and from there to actually having a visa. Starting to look more and more like it's about a 2 year wait, which is very depressing.

3 hours ago, TeeTMI said:

Just for information - Registered Migration Agents register as individuals (a business is not registered), you may work with e.g. an admin person within the business.  If there has been no communication and your emails are being ignored then you might contact the Registered Migration directly.     

I've attempted that. Till today I haven't had more than a 10 minute skype with the dude. He doesn't reply to emails at all and never replies on Skype. I've had my lawyer look at the contract to see whether I can get out of it, unfortunately if I do cancel I will lose the money I already paid them and will have to start over with pretty much everything. At the moment I am very unhappy with them, but stuck with them. I am hoping that they surprise me and actually provide good service going forward.

Actually, they do seem to have done a decent job, they just absolutely suck at communication. Maybe I'm expecting too much, like a confirmation of the EOI actually being lodged.

Sort of wish I had known about your agency 6 months ago when I first started the process. (I interviewed agents back in September and signed the contract in October)

Realistically, what do you think my chances are of getting an invite in this or the next round? It is concerning that your website does make it look like I should have received an invite by now, even though it's been dead quiet.

10 hours ago, LekkerOuJan said:

Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear. I received the outcome of the skills assessment within about 3 days of requesting it. This was way back in January already.

I did take a look at that site and trackers, it did not do my confidence any good at all. Looks like the average wat for an invite is about 3 to 6 months, and from there to actually having a visa. Starting to look more and more like it's about a 2 year wait, which is very depressing.

Well to give you an idea. We applied for EA Skills Assessment in June 2018, applied for the Fast Track Option (at extra cost) to speed up the process and received a Positive Skills Assessment about a month later (without the Fast Track it could be much longer). Submitted an EOI with 75 points 10 August 2018, received Invitation to Apply 11 October 2018. We submitted our Application on the 16th of October 2018 and received our Visa grant (189) on the 30th of January 2019. 

On 4/10/2019 at 7:37 AM, LekkerOuJan said:

Hi

We have an excellent agent...would recommend him to anyone.Stephen Dickson at Migrate Aus.  I have asked him the same question and he replied that it takes average 4-6 months to process the VISA after invitation.