Advice required on move to Brisbane

JInOz

Hi All,

We will be looking to move across to Brisbane as a family, already obtained our 189 visas; however still need to apply for the 101 visa after our girl number 2 arrives in June and are looking to make the move across in late October this year. We are not sure about areas; whether being north of Brisbane is better than being south. Mum will be at home with the girls initially until the new duckling is able to attend nursery. We both work in the ICT industry and would ideally be looking for areas with good transport links into the CBD. We will be renting for the beginning, but with the intention to buy something in the not too far distant future.

Some questions; if anyone has been in our shoes and already done such a move with a small family, and how they have managed the move and are they settled in now with every day life?

Any suggestions or contacts in securing a rental apartment, will be very helpful.

Many thanks

Justin

3 hours ago, JInOz said:

however still need to apply for the 101 visa after our girl number 2 arrives in June and are looking to make the move across in late October

That seems like a fairly tight timeline, at the moment the prescribed timeline is 75% of applications within 10 months: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/child-101 

4 months is very optimistic!

My wife and I are both in the ICT industry in Brisbane, its a really active market at the moment and I think you'd find a job fairly easily.  What sort of skills do you guys have?  Feel free to PM me if you're not comfortable posting it in a public forum.

In terms of areas, we rented in Mango Hill initially and tried to find something closer to the city for about 6 months.  We eventually realised that we'd already fallen in love with our area so we ended up buying in North Lakes (next to Mango Hill).

To be fair we never looked on the South side.

• Like 1

We went the route of 101 visa and it took several long months to get it approved.

We live just north of the city (about 4km) as the crow flies and hubby cycles into the office which is great. I drive as my office is much further and not in the city. I see the traffic coming into the city from the south on the M3 and it look pretty awful. The train services are pretty good, buses in my experience are fairly unreliable.

I would advise you check out the daycare situation fairly early and get on some waiting lists.

With respect to securing a rental just go onto realestate.com.au and find something you like - go check it out and if you want it just tell the agent. It's pretty straightforward. The agents work for the owners and will not help you find a place. You need to do the legwork yourself.

Brisbane is very family friendly, you'll love it.

Hi @ChrisH thanks for replying to our post. I am completely aware that the timeline for the 101 visa is pretty tight, but explaining that to a pregnant fiance, who is keen to move as soon as we can is not always that easy :) We are hopeful that the 101 visa for the new born will be processed within the set timeframe of our intended departure date providing we supply "all" the relevant paperwork. If this is not the case, the options we have considered are; 1) apply for a tourist visa for the little, but currently we are not sure of the implications, or 2) we will have to delay the scheduled move past October. We are hoping that because we are in the UK the paperwork will be processed in a reasonable time, but this is completely out of our control.

My fiance is a BI Business Analyst and i am a SQL DBA/Dev.

Since you mentioned Mango Hill and North Lakes; we have started familiarising ourself with those areas just to get some idea; i did notice that the train into Brisbane from North Lakes is ~1 hour, which seemed quite a bit, so looked at Strahpine but again we have no idea about these areas in terms of things such as community, distance to the beack, weekend sport / activity for the kids and family.

Hi @TamTam thanks for the reply. That must be really convenient living only 4km's from the city. We will definitely start considering your suggestion about looking into daycare, though it sounds like it may be quite competitive for places, similar to our current situation here in the UK, where it is rather over-subscribed. I think once we know where i will hopefully find work, we can then choose an area and try to find a rental. In terms of securing a rental from abroad, are there any suggestions; it seems like someone needs to do an inspection which is a bit tricky when you are abroad.

Many thanks

Justin & Cindy

1 hour ago, JInOz said:

train into Brisbane from North Lakes is ~1 hour

The Mango hill station to central station is 46 minutes, but if you live in North Lakes its quicker to take the Dakabin train to central - 37 minutes.  It's an express train and only stops at a couple of stations instead of all 20 odd.

It might be better to find an alternative setup where you move into an airbnb or something and then look for a place.  It's near impossible to gauge areas without physically being here.

• Like 1

@ChrisH

Just had a look at the Translink train from Dakabin and definitely looks like a good option for travelling into Central.

The advice on using airbnb is wise and will be the route which we will take, at least for the first 2 weeks until we can find a rental, hopefully somewhere in the Mango Hill area.

• Like 1