189 or 190 Visa?

JAYandANT

Question

Hi All,

I am very new to this but my wife and I have finally made the decision to go ahead with this process and make the move (if Visa application Successful)

At this stage we do not have surplus funds to go through an agent so want to first try go it alone - hence the reason for my question:

I have 2 possible Occupations that I could apply for (Both VETASSESS):

- 1 Is on the latest 189 list Skilled Independent list (224711)

- 1 is on the latest 190 Skilled Nominated List (224712)

The occupation on the 190 list (224712) is probably a better fit to my experience than the 189 (even though they are very similar and are basically grouped together when I study the classification for the Skills ), but I have heard that 190 Visas are more difficult to get as they are sponsored and need to be state specific.... So which should I go for? (Keeping in mind we want to try go through this process WITHOUT an immigration consultant - who we understand can facilitate the 190 process easier than if we do it alone?)

Any advice would be great - thank you 

Jason

7 answers to this question

When making the application, you can apply for a 189 and a 190 at the same time.

Generally speaking, it's pretty tough to get into Australia at the moment for most people due to high point requirements. Therefore most people also opt for the 190.

In order to get the answers to your question:

• Find out what points you qualify for. Highly recommended to get a migration agent to verify this as you don't want to go all the way through with an application, only to be rejected because you claimed points which you cannot back up with evidence.
  • Find out on what points people get invited for your occupation and points, and how long they wait for an invitation. There's a huge difference between the minimum points required to apply, and whether you'll get / when you'll get an invitation.
  • The above answer will steer you towards whether you need to go the 190, 189 or both routes. If you've got more than 75 points (depending on occupation and if it's pro rata or non pro rate), you can generally get away with a 189.

Edited by HappyIsland
  • Thanks 1

Always difficult to advise without the wider details so as a generalisation - and often it is about balancing the two options after examining the detail of the evidence you can bring together. 

As above at least 75 points are currently required for the 189 visa.

From the perspective of the 190 for that occupation 224712 there are limited state sponsored options, which may require additional evidence depending upon the state and your wider circumstances - I would suggest you look into this further so you are aware of your options. 

• Thanks 1

Just a quick one, if you THINK you are at 224711 then you probably are not. With Management Consulting you know you fall into that category as you are billing your time to clients who are making watercooler remarks that they pay the Consultants too much. I would seriously consider going with an agent if you want to try that route as unless you are with a MBB or Big4 you may have a fight on your hands (Personal Opinion based on experience).

Edited by F1veClaw
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HappyIsland said:

When making the application, you can apply for a 189 and a 190 at the same time.

Generally speaking, it's pretty tough to get into Australia at the moment for most people due to high point requirements. Therefore most people also opt for the 190.

In order to get the answers to your question:

• Find out what points you qualify for. Highly recommended to get a migration agent to verify this as you don't want to go all the way through with an application, only to be rejected because you claimed points which you cannot back up with evidence.
  • Find out on what points people get invited for your occupation and points, and how long they wait for an invitation. There's a huge difference between the minimum points required to apply, and whether you'll get / when you'll get an invitation.
  • The above answer will steer you towards whether you need to go the 190, 189 or both routes. If you've got more than 75 points (depending on occupation and if it's pro rata or non pro rate), you can generally get away with a 189.

Thank you all for the advice.

I need a superior English score to just get to the 65 Points - so taking the test in the next 2 weeks as Point A.

I hear you WRT to the agent perspective and will, once I get superior English seek advice.

Thanks again for your help :)

Jason

20 minutes ago, JAYandANT said:

I need a superior English score to just get to the 65 Points - so taking the test in the next 2 weeks as Point A.

Since you need 75 points on a 189 visa, your first priority should absolutely be to get a points assessment done by a migration agent.

Only proceed with the english test if the points assessment indicates that you can get 75 points with superior english, and once you've clarified what requirements you must meet in order to apply.

Keep in mind that the number of skilled visas would be slashed from July '19 onwards, so you would definitely need that 75 points.

If you're coming in below 75 points, you might need to look at what your other options are.

As mentioned above, keep in mind that 65 is the minimum requirement for an EOI. Depending on the occupation (pro-rata or non pro-rata) one may require higher points to be considered. In the last round the lowest points selected was 75. This does not imply that 70 pointers (or even 65) will never be invited. Just keep in mind that there will be a large backlog of EOI building up whilst the Invitation points are kept high. Unfortunately the 189 Visa stream has become very competitive in the last few years. 

Thank you I do understand now....

Before anything get an agency to assess my potential score....

I appreciate all the advise

Jason

Edited by JAYandANT