Spousal Visa

lemoen

Would you get married in order to get a visa thereby enabling you to get out off the good old RSA? Just wondering if some would do it. 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

The Partner Visa subclass 820/801 (for onshore applicants) and 100/309 (for offshore applicants) allows the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen, to live in Australia.

This visa is a known "hack" for getting into Australia and is highly scrutinised. There are checks and balances within the visa process to verify that the relationship is genuine so just getting married to get a visa isn't a good idea. It is also quite an expensive visa (at $7500 just for the application fee) last time I checked and seems to take over 12 months to process. These visas do get cancelled later if it is discovered that the relationship is not genuine. Australia uses a lot of data matching processes to double check information. I wouldn't recommend trying to work the system if that is what you are asking.

2 hours ago, RYLC said:

This visa is a known "hack" for getting into Australia and is highly scrutinised. There are checks and balances within the visa process to verify that the relationship is genuine so just getting married to get a visa isn't a good idea. It is also quite an expensive visa (at $7500 just for the application fee) last time I checked and seems to take over 12 months to process. These visas do get cancelled later if it is discovered that the relationship is not genuine. Australia uses a lot of data matching processes to double check information. I wouldn't recommend trying to work the system if that is what you are asking.

Agreed your Australian "hubby" will end up on "a current affair" 😉 

RYLC and LM17 are correct!

When I applied for my 309/100, we had been married for 12 years (same surname), with an 11 year old son. We had joint bank accounts, the same physical and postal address, family memberships at a golf club and a gym, invitations to functions with both our names, statutory declarations from several contactable Australians (including a school principal and a doctor) to say that we were recognised as a couple and a family in the community. In short, I submitted a paper based application with a massive amount of evidence of a "genuine and continuing relationship", including photographs of us as a family. 

When the case officer was appointed, she requested more photos of us, but with friends and people who were not related to us!

I would love to be able to get my brother into Australia by marriage to one of my many single girlfriends, but would definitely not want any of them to end up on "A Current Affair"😩

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I would definitely not recommend trying this.  In most cases DHA will only grant the Temporary two year spouse visa in the first instance.  After two years DHA will request more proof of an ongoing, cohabiting relationship which would be all but impossible to prove it you were not a genuine couple.

A better long term option is to return to study in an occupation that is on the MLTSSL.

Regards