Migration Level CAP to be reduced from 190,000 to 160,000

SD_MOA

Hello All,

It has just been announced that DHA will reduced the migration level CAP from it's current level of 190,000 to 160,000 for the next program year starting on 1 July 2019.  As only 162,000 visas were issued in the last program year till 30 June 2018 this should not have any huge impact on numbers this coming year.

DHA have also announced that they will reserve 23,000 of the 160,000 places for temporary  Regional visas - we can presume this will be the SC489 visa.  It also seems they will increase the time needed to be spent in the regional area on the temporary visa from 2 years to 3 years in order to qualify for the SC887 permanent visa.  There will be more detail on this announced soon.

Regards

Mmm hard to say, the coalition (libs and greens) that are currently in power have been pushing to reduce immigration (especially in Sydney and Melbourne)…generally I get the idea Australians feel we need a “breather” .

“The right” sells the idea that immigrants take Australian jobs and are responsible crime --   they have used a recent rise in crime in Melbourne by South Sudanese gangs (they were let in as refugees) as an example.

Australians understand that they are a nation of immigrants  and immigrants have driven this country forward over the last decade….but the main centers are taking strain (infrastructure needs to catch up)

So the Liberals , whilst supporting immigration, have been calling for the reduction…and to be honest I don’t see the labour party (if they get in) doing anything to dramatically differently.

So to answer your question I don’t think it will change but I think it’s safe to each year the number will be cut…

for a long time Australia’s only constraint  (to grow the economy) was lack of people /workforce  -- I don’t think that is the case anymore….

Edited by LM17

On 3/20/2019 at 9:13 AM, SD_MOA said:

Hello All,

It has just been announced that DHA will reduced the migration level CAP from it's current level of 190,000 to 160,000 for the next program year starting on 1 July 2019.  As only 162,000 visas were issued in the last program year till 30 June 2018 this should not have any huge impact on numbers this coming year.

DHA have also announced that they will reserve 23,000 of the 160,000 places for temporary  Regional visas - we can presume this will be the SC489 visa.  It also seems they will increase the time needed to be spent in the regional area on the temporary visa from 2 years to 3 years in order to qualify for the SC887 permanent visa.  There will be more detail on this announced soon.

Regards

Hi,

Do you think that this will affect current 489 visa holders living in Oz or awaiting 887 grants? Will they establish new sub-class visas or will it just be an amendment to the current 489's. If that is the case would they need to change legislation? Possibly questions you may not be able to answer now but it will be good to get your thoughts

The joke is that current 489 visa holders, after applying for the sc887 PR's (once meeting 2 years residence and 1 year employment in regional areas) are already having to wait more than a year for sc887 grants after applying, meaning that they need to remain in a regional area for more than 3 years anyway. If DHA increase the base period to 3 years then another year of applications means that 489 visa holders will wait for 4 years before receiving PR. This is reality.

I applied for the 887 more than 4 months ago and there is no movement yet, frustrating but that is life

3 hours ago, LM17 said:

Mmm hard to say, the coalition (libs and greens) that are currently in power have been pushing to reduce immigration (especially in Sydney and Melbourne)…generally I get the idea Australians feel we need a “breather” .

“The right” sells the idea that immigrants take Australian jobs and are responsible crime --   they have used a recent rise in crime in Melbourne by South Sudanese gangs (they were let in as refugees) as an example.

Australians understand that they are a nation of immigrants  and immigrants have driven this country forward over the last decade….but the main centers are taking strain (infrastructure needs to catch up)

So the Liberals , whilst supporting immigration, have been calling for the reduction…and to be honest I don’t see the labour party (if they get in) doing anything to dramatically differently.

So to answer your question I don’t think it will change but I think it’s safe to each year the number will be cut…

for a long time Australia’s only constraint  (to grow the economy) was lack of people /workforce  -- I don’t think that is the case anymore….

Don't mean to argumentative just for the sake of it, but the coalition is the Liberals and the Nationals, not the Greens.

Also, I think the Liberals often pander to the right of the party and the far more right Nationals in the hope of holding power, hence many of their nonsensical policies and right leaning fear mongering.

My feeling is the far more liberal (little l) Labour party may not be as hard on immigration, especially skilled immigration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duggen said:

Don't mean to argumentative just for the sake of it, but the coalition is the Liberals and the Nationals, not the Greens.

Also, I think the Liberals often pander to the right of the party and the far more right Nationals in the hope of holding power, hence many of their nonsensical policies and right leaning fear mongering.

My feeling is the far more liberal (little l) Labour party may not be as hard on immigration, especially skilled immigration.

@Duggen you are spot on , *Nationals* indeed  , I am losing my mind , apologies, 

the Labour candidate for NSW,(the election is Saturday) is currently in the news - a video was leaked where he blames Asian immigrants for the high cost of living and property in Sydney , which has led to young Australian leaving the state - irrespective whether you agree with him or not , it does leads to some mixed messaging from them.

Will have to wait and see 😉  

Edited by LM17

On 3/21/2019 at 7:50 PM, TakeItOnTheChin said:

Hi,

Do you think that this will affect current 489 visa holders living in Oz or awaiting 887 grants? Will they establish new sub-class visas or will it just be an amendment to the current 489's. If that is the case would they need to change legislation? Possibly questions you may not be able to answer now but it will be good to get your thoughts

The joke is that current 489 visa holders, after applying for the sc887 PR's (once meeting 2 years residence and 1 year employment in regional areas) are already having to wait more than a year for sc887 grants after applying, meaning that they need to remain in a regional area for more than 3 years anyway. If DHA increase the base period to 3 years then another year of applications means that 489 visa holders will wait for 4 years before receiving PR. This is reality.

I applied for the 887 more than 4 months ago and there is no movement yet, frustrating but that is life

Hi There,

The news Regional visas (yet to be named) will only be introduced in November 2019.  All current SC489/887 visas application will not be impacted apart from their processing times which, as you say, have blown out in the last year or so.

I hope this helps.

Regards

52 minutes ago, SD_MOA said:

Hi There,

The news Regional visas (yet to be named) will only be introduced in November 2019.  All current SC489/887 visas application will not be impacted apart from their processing times which, as you say, have blown out in the last year or so.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Thanks SD_MOA, there does seem to be more clarity now