Sign in to follow this  
Candshow

Sentimental Items

Candshow

Quick question with respect to taking sentimental stuff - we will sell most of our stuff before leaving but would like to take some thing which hold huge sentimental value. 

Example of some of the things are a wooden kist, bureau, clock etc....what restrictions are there?  I am more so worried about wooden products....they are all antiques.  Persian rugs?

I know with bikes etc they need to be fully disinfected before packing....

What about power tools? My husband has quite the collection.....

TamTam

Keep your tools, way too expensive to replace a big tool collection. We brought along hubbies entire collection.

And as for the bikes just give them a good wash and get the dirt off - no need to do more than that.

We took a huge wooden railway sleeper table and had no issue - we just specified it was an indoor dining table. For wooden things you just need to be concerned about items that may harbour wood borers.

• Like 2

new2forum

morning. wooden furniture especially oak and exotic woods cost an arm and a leg here....price in rands in SA will be priced in dollars for the same item, but it wont even be solid oak, it will be oak veneer

SandraDee

you can bring pretty much anything that is manufactured by a company- we brought all our wooden furniture. Just make sure there is no sign of borer. Raw wood should be sealed but in saying that I brought my store bought reclaimed wood unit from Weylandts and had no problems.  I brought animal skins - (Nguni cow hides) store bought- with no issues- I did declare them .  I left behind my ostrich eggs and my african masks as they had a few bug holes in the back.

9 times out of 10 they are going to fumigate your container. Dont bring your Christmas tree if it has fir cones on it.  Furniture is expensive here so bring as much as you can.  No problem bring your Persian rugs.

TamTam
2 hours ago, SandraDee said:

9 times out of 10 they are going to fumigate your container

If they do happen to fumigate your container I am not sure whether you can keep mattresses that are inside. I was warned not to keep mine if my container happened to be fumigated - thankfully it was not. However my container came from Europe - perhaps they view it differently?

RYLC

They don't fumigate the whole container. They only fumigate relevant, individual items identified as needing it. We had to have an old wooden chest fumigated. It was the only item selected. We had our container delivered and then had to pick up the chest some time later after they had finished with it. There was a fee for the fumigation too. Can't remember how much.

Candshow

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback....how did your wooden furniture handle the trip across the seas?