Partner Visa timings and questions

Groover

Question

Hi there, 

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any helpful feedback.

My wife is Australian. We have been married for 18 years. We met in London and have lived in South Africa for (21 years). 

1. If we decide to move to Australia, I would obviously apply for the temporary partner visa. Now I see as part of this visa, your Australian partner must sponsor you for two years. We would obviously more there together. How would this work? Our plan is to go over and only then look for jobs etc. I can't arrange for me beforehand because I wouldnt have a valid visa. 

2. The temporary partner visa is valid for two years after which one applies for the permanent partner visa. Does the two year clock start ticking immediately once the temporary partner visa has been issued? Or does the two years start once you arrive in Australia? We might apply in the next few months (the visa takes around 12 months) and if the visa comes through some time next year, our plan is to move over to Aus at the end of 2020 to ensure the disruption to the kids' school year is limited. Does it matter of we only go over to Aus say six to nine months after the visa was approved?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet