My mother's year and place of birth is incorrect on my unabridged birth certificate. Has anyone else had this problem?

Ozzieandcharles

Question

Hi there,

I recently came across this forum and wish I had found it a lot sooner! There are some great advice on here!

I have submitted my 190 visa application, but have a slight issue, my mom's place of birth as well as her year of birth is incorrect on my birth certificate.  I assumed that home affairs had made the mistake and requested a vault copy of my birth certificate so that it can be rectified. Unfortunately it was my dad who had incorrectly completed my birth register. 

I have also completed and submitted form 80, where I submitted my mother's correct information. I have also submitted my unabridged birth certificate, which contains the incorrect info. 

Has anyone had a similar issue? And how did you resolve it? I have been told that it will take up to a year to correct my birth register... Thanks dad 🙂!

Should I inform the department of the mistake and will they insist on the corrected birth certificate before they process my visa? 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! 

1 answer to this question

I don't think it really matters to be honest, it is still an official document from the ZA government.