Random questions

Liezl40

Question

Hi

Thanks for everyone on the forum, it's been a great help. 

We are aiming for a 189 Visa.

Just some random questions milling around in my head:

Please confirm that you have 5 years to move from SA to AUS that the Visa is valid

Would you suggest buying a car from here, or renting one for a period on arrival

What should we do to be able to drive that side, drivers license ect

Is the state schools free or are there some costs that we are not reading about

How does medical work

What would be the cost per month for pre-school in a normal area, we are looking at going to Brisbane

Any help would be greatly appreciated

THANKS

3 answers to this question

15 hours ago, Liezl40 said:

We are aiming for a 189 Visa.

Please confirm that you have 5 years to move from SA to AUS that the Visa is valid

Welcome to the Forum Liezl40

When the visa is granted whilst you are outside Australia there will be 2 dates on it.

1. The Validation date - this is the date that you must first set foot in Australia to 'validate' the visa.  This could just be a quick trip.
  2. The second date is the date that the visa is valid for travel purposes (i.e. to enter Australia).  This will be 5 years from the date it was granted.  

Therefore you effectively have 5 years in which to enter Australia if necessary.      

• Like 1

HI, you will probably get a lot of input , but here us my 2c:

1) Please confirm that you have 5 years to move from SA to AUS that the Visa is valid  - 1 year to activate (first entry into Aus, and another 4 years to move here, 

2) Would you suggest buying a car from here, or renting one for a period on arrival - dont think you will be able to buy form SA, I suggest rent for 2 weeks (just be careful the cheap rental prices you see on the net excludes insurance , it will double if you add insurance, which in my opinion you need

3) What should we do to be able to drive that side, drivers license ect  -- initially you can use your SA licence (3 months i think) then you need to convert (dont bother with international drives licence from AA , its a waste of money no one cares about it)

4) Is the state schools free or are there some costs that we are not reading about -- just sports and other activities will be extra (most sports are at local clubs not so much at the schools) - but its not major

5) How does medical work  -- its complicated if you get 189 you will get a green Medicare card (access to public health) most people have extra hospital insurance and you can add extra cover for dental etc....but thats up to you.

6) What would be the cost per month for pre-school in a normal area, we are looking at going to Brisbane. not going to lie - pre school is a killer -- I can only refer Sydney costs --  from $80 -$180 per day depending on your area -- you can get rebate form Centerlink based on your income and activities (and what year your child is in)

Hope this makes sense and helps a bit 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Liezl40 said:

What would be the cost per month for pre-school in a normal area, we are looking at going to Brisbane

If both of you work more than 3 days a week the government will pay up to 50% (income dependent - over $250k combined income and the percentage becomes less) of the daycare rate capped at $10,000 per year.

Our daycare rate is $116 per day in North Lakes.  Closer to the CBD it might get more expensive.

• Like 1