Will you vote in the 2019 South African elections

CyberJoe

Will you vote in the 2019 South African elections  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Will you vote in the 2019 South African elections

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/2019 at 07:55 PM

We've been doing a bit of reading and figuring out how to vote from where we are in Sydney for the upcoming South African elections and realised that it feels like quite a bit of work. There is also what I feel like a significant cost if you're not in the Canberra region for travel, at least a day's leave etc. My wife is adamant we should go vote and we probably will but I was wondering how many of the forumites will participate in this event?

• Like 1

Certainly very difficult if you are not anywhere near Canberra. We would love to vote but we are probably 650km away up in Coffs Harbour, not sure if it is worth the effort?

pity about being it being in 1 location. doesnt change the result of the 2019 Election result if all the expats voted

Not really doable if not living in or near Canberra.

While I appreciate it is inconvenient and very difficult from certain areas, I don't believe an attitude of 'my vote won't count so why bother' is very helpful immediately at the outset. Only 47% of the SA eligible voters voted in the last election - this increases the value of every vote that was cast. So while as an expat community our votes may not amount to much in comparison to the population of SA, I do believe everyone who is able to go vote should make the effort. Some of us are here temporarily and I am sure the majority of us have family and friends back home, if you don't feel like going to vote for yourself, think of them. Every vote not placed counts as much if not more than every vote cast. 

My mind is still blown that in 2019 the only place we can vote is Canberra, but I do still feel it is worth the effort of at least trying to get there.

• Like 3

Tell them to put some Boerewors Rolls out front, maybe that will get us more motivated for the long trip!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We personally can't afford the incurred cost of traveling to Canberra. Believe me, if we could we would. I too think it is ver important. It is just not that easy.

Exactly @Mel-B ! While I really do think it's important, I balk at the cost of traveling there and back just to cast a vote. Were privileged and blessed enough to not worry too much about the fuel and car costs right now but when I think that both of use would need to take a least a day's leave, I get a bit stubborn. And while were just discussing Aus here, I assume it is the same way all over the world in the USA, Europe etc?

@TakeItOnTheChin That would indeed make it a lot more bearable, I might just start a braai outside 😁

BUT...... as Joseph Stalin said, and I paraphrase:

It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes.

• Like 2

Even if there was a voting option nearer, I wouldn't bother. It's like flogging a dead horse to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's like farting against thunder. Even if by some miracle the ANC was voted out, do you really think they'd give up power voluntarily?