Teenagers, Immigration, Schools

Lady

Hi everyone.

i would like to know what was your experience with teens going to a new country?

How do we support them?

How did your kids adapt?

And how did they cope with it all in the school?

(We are Afrikaans )

(Going to Tasmania)

Thanks

• 1 month later...

We moved to qld 8 weeks ago and my boys went into yr 10 and yr 11. Its a private school and the transition has been pretty painless! the kids just slotted in... fortunately 2 other South africa teens arrived on the same day and were also going into year 10... this has made it even easier. I recommend you contact the school and ask them to put you in touch with another south african parent in your year... my school put me in touch with a wonderful lady, a real life saver. 

Our 11 year old just took it in her stride.  We got her a math & science dictionary for her age group that explained the English terminology in a very simple, easy to understand way with colourful images to make it easier. She made friends right away and was made to feel very welcome at school.  Initially we had to be fairly involved in her homework, being Afrikaans, but it was really a non-event.

Our 18 year old completed school in South Africa but because he did not go to uni here right away, he really struggled as he was not in a group or social situation that would have help him meet young people his age. Make sure your kids get involved in things where they will meet many other kids their age in more than one setting - not only at school, but also with other activities such as sports, guides, drama classes etc. - whatever it takes.  The sooner they socialize, the quicker they'll adjust. 

Long story short:  they'll be fine! 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We came over 4+ years ago with a 16-year-old (year 11), kicking and screaming. Made friends easily, hugely popular kid in school and sports in SA, good academics. Turns out it was the same in AU. Made friends easily, slotted in,  academically took some time and tutoring to learn how they do things here. I am not a natural empath, so when we got here I sat her down and told her that her experience will be what she makes of it, that she's too old for me to sell her the move as a 'great adventure', and that she can wallow and whine, or pull up her socks and move on. She moved on, worked very hard, finished school as a success story and got early entry into uni. The school called her back to talk to their year 12's and share her experience, and to show that with hard work and determination, everything is possible. But, a very big but, her heart is very much still in SA, because that is where her childhood friends, and her first love are. She flew back to SA for her matric dance at her old school, and she goes back every year, and has kept in close touch with her SA friends. She's got great friends here, because of her personality, and because people just love her, she's one of those people with naturally high emotional intelligence. But it is not easy, let me tell you. The older they are, the harder it is. 

Also, forgot to add - it really helped that my daughter got accepted at her Australian school months before we arrived, and that it was similar to the school she went to in SA, and that the school just happened to have quite a number of South African teachers. We got private tours of the school when we arrived, and she was made to feel comfortable and at home. She really came to love the school and its strong spirit, and the friendships she made there are quite strong.

Edited by Pell

3 hours ago, Pell said:

her heart is very much still in SA

Yeah I reckon that's one of the hardest age groups to emigrate.  They are not old enough to have studied or worked in South Africa to have experienced first hand some of the reasons that make us emigrate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisH said:

Yeah I reckon that's one of the hardest age groups to emigrate.  They are not old enough to have studied or worked in South Africa to have experienced first hand some of the reasons that make us emigrate.

Very well put. @ChrisH