What is the easiest way to migrate your fiance or wife?

Koos VDM

Question

Hello, been a while since I have been on here.

I recently enjoyed a holiday with a friend of mine - we have known each other for 12 years but just never could be single at the same time 🙂 Well, we fell madly in love and realised that we were more compatible than I would even have dreamed of. She's 43 and has a stable professional life, currently working in Johannesburg.

I am an Australian Citizen and we have decided to not mess around and we will be getting engaged in the next 2 months. We have different options and some time as she is doing a 6-month post-graduate course in Johannesburg starting February.  Our aim is to have her come over permanently in December, 2019 to re-settle here.

So my question would be as follows:

1. Is it best to get married here or in South Africa? I am not a dual citizen, only an Australian citizen so getting married in South Africa might be problematic.

2. Even though we have known each other for a very long time, are there any rules around how long we need to have been engaged before we can submit a VISA to have her over as my fiance?

3. As a last resort, she is willing to study here next year, does that help VISA eligibility?

4. I would appreciate any advice anyone may have that is relevant.

Thank you in advance,

Koos

3 answers to this question

Hi Koos I can’t help with your question, just wanted to say it’s nice to read your story and I wish you guys all the happiness  in the world. I say go for it :) Life’s too short to mess around. 

• Like 2

Hi Koos
You mention your partner is working, if they have an occupation in demand you might look at the Skilled Independent visas to see if one of these might be an option (potentially faster and cheaper than the partner visa options)? 

Alternatively, within the Partner visa options you might look at the :

• Prospective Spouse visa - if you intend to get married
  • The Partner Visa - either as a married or De Facto couple (De Facto generally requires you to have lived together in a genuine committed relationship for at least 12 months)

Depending upon circumstances / your preferences then there may be other options or variations in the way that you approach this.

• Like 1

Thank you Bonny and TeeTMI! I think we will just go for the PArtner VISA. Looking for a ring now but I must admit, dealing with South African Immigration to get permission to get married in SA is a good reminder why I am here 🙂

I suspect I might be getting her to fly out here and get married here in Australia, it seems to be a little easier and less risky as the government procedures here are pretty predictable. I was told of a couple that flew in twice from the UK in order to get permission to get married in SA. Let's see how it goes, I will let you know how it all pans out!

• Like 1