Question on car seats / booster seats (any info appreciated)

Reinbow

Hi all

(first post, excuse me if I'm not familiar with etiquette) 

I have tried googling a bit and so on, but would appreciate any clarity or info anyone would have on booster seats.

We have a South African standard (SABS approved) booster seat which we use for my 4-year old son. Would it even be worth it to fly it over? (We arrive in Sydney 1 Feb)

Initially we are going to be renting a car and using public transport, until we get licences converted, etc.

I know Australia seem to be quite stringent and finicky (with good cause) about these laws, and I do intend to eventually buy an "Australian approved" booster seat when we get there and we are driving regularly, my question is, would the current booster seat be ok in the interim, or not? Has anyone had experience with this, and please, what specifically would you recommend?

Thanks a mill.

• Like 1

Hi Reinbow

Welcome to the forum.

Depends on which state you are headed to. Here in good the good old United State of QLD they are pretty sticky about car and booster seats. Believe it or not they have a 10 year expiry date on them and here in QLD they must have an Aus Standards sticker which also includes the weight and age rating.

Most of the car hire companies have cars seats that you can rent with the car and Gumtree and FB  are your friends here in Aus. You should be able to pick up a decent seat for a reasonable price.

P.S. You have 3 months to drive around on your South African licence before ypu habe to convery and do yourself a favour by getting lettet from the traffic department validating your South African licences. As far as  can remember NSW requires this letter to convert. QLD doesn't yet, and I'm not sure about the other states. Rather be safe than sorry.

Happy Foruming

• Like 1

HI, you need a letter in Sydney to convert your license - pretty easy to get, 

As for car seats, SA car seats are not legal here (SA seats comply with Euro standards not Aus) , main difference is that all car seats must have a theater strap attached to the back of the main car seat (you wills see what i mean when you get here)

My advice:  leave your seats at home, and buy  when you get here  (Gumtree or  Target/BigW/Kmart)

PS: in Australia there is no concept of "OK in the interim"  its either legal or not.....;-)   ....takes us a while to get use to this, 

• Like 3

Ok thanks very much, appreciate the info, we'll give it away this side then, and rent / buy one as soon as we get there.

:)

Sorry, one more question, when we land in Sydney, the idea was to Uber to a hotel and just recover from jet lag, sight-see for a few days, before we fly to Melbourne and settle in. I know in NYC there's an option to add a booster / car seat to UberX, but I don't see the same for Australia.

What would be the best way of getting from the airport to hotel with a car seat?

Thanks again.

Take a cab. For some reason, you don't need a seat in a cab... as if they are safer.

Or bring your seat from South Africa for the uber ride from and to the airport and bin it when you get to Melbourne.

Another option is to book an airport shuttle... cheaper than a cab. 

I have used these guys before:

http://asntransfers.com/asn_pub/

ASN Transfers look like they go up to the north shore and city mostly... but I am sure you could a similar one if those locations don't suit. 

The advantage with an airport shuttle is, when you book online, you tell them how many child seats you need. Also you tell them which flight you are on, so if your flight is delayed or early they arrive at the appropriate time.

Also, driving though Sydney is like driving through driving through Johannesburg traffic at peak hour times two. There is also little parking in the built up (touristy) areas. Most locals going into the City to see the harbor bridge with kids, put their little ones in a pram and catch a train or bus. 

Most Sydney parents (like me) will go and buy a $700+ pram because it really helps on the public transport... 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Reinbow, 

Actually the SA babyseats do not cut it here, at least not in Qld. I called around one day, and spent 3 hours on the phone to various entities. Long story short, if it aint Aus certified to ADR rule 34/03, then you risk big trouble. I tried to order a baby seat from Germany for my wife's Audi A8 - no dice. So pick one up here I reckon is the safe bet. 

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017L01351

Cheers

Surferman

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, Reinbow said:

Sorry, one more question, when we land in Sydney, the idea was to Uber to a hotel and just recover from jet lag, sight-see for a few days, before we fly to Melbourne and settle in. I know in NYC there's an option to add a booster / car seat to UberX, but I don't see the same for Australia.

What would be the best way of getting from the airport to hotel with a car seat?

Thanks again.

Easy - when you book just specify a child seat. 

Your best shot of having the right type of car seat is to book a shuttle. I honestly can't remember who we used (we looked at reviews online and chose one) but if it's someone waiting for you at the airport you have a better chance. I have been in a car rental waiting to pick up a car witnessing a woman melting down because she had booked a car seat and they just didn't have any - and while the company was sympathetic they can't magically get hold of a seat if they're out. It is apparently particularly problematic at the airport car rentals. So my suggestion would be to book a shuttle, and then buy a seat as soon as possible thereafter for use in Uber and other ways of getting around. You don't need it on public transport (trains and buses).

• 3 months later...

We booked and airport shuttle with a car seat for when we returned from a family holiday and the car seat was in a shocking state and not even anchored to the car!  (Unfortunately Uber Australia does not yet offer car seats which is mind-boggling seeing as they're so anal about this in Australia...) We ended up in a maxi taxi with a car seat -  they usually have them as maxi-taxis are often used by families.  The other alternative is pre-booking a hired car with a car seat - slightly more expensive than a taxi or uber but it's a professional, personal service and their cars are spotless. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there 

Just another question from me if I may jump onto this.

I have 2 daughters. We planning the move early next year then they will be 7 and 4. From what I saw on google the 7 old does not need car sear? We will  stay with family in Melbourne for few days and then move to Darwin from there. Can anyone confirm this or point me in the direction of where to find info

thanks

Philip  

@Philip84  Hi, not 100% sure about Victoria , but I am pretty sure its similar to NSW:

1) 4 year old will need car seat 

2) I think you are right the 7 year wont need one. BUT people tend to keep their kids in boosters here until they are about 10 (just what i see at school drop-offs...)

Important point to note:  DONT bother bringing any SA seats with, they are not legal here...   (we dragged 2 on the flight with us just to toss them away 2 days after we arrived).

cheers

Edited by LM17

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I know this thread is quite old, but would anyone be able to assist me with regards to my query? I have read and understand that SA car seats do not comply with regulations in Australia. Now are you referring to the SA brands, like Safeway or all brands? I need to invest in a new car seat for my three year old. I am looking at the Chicco Youniverse car seat. Would this one also be a no-no? We are still in a waiting game and not sure how long it will take to get a response, so we need to get a car seat in the interim,  i am just not sure if i should spend the thousands on the Chicco or buy a cheaper version......if the Chicco can't be used when we get there.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Lucille