Pet Relocation 2019

Hunts

Hi everyone,

My family and I are about 6 months away from making the move to Australia. We currently live in Dubai and we brought our Cocker Spaniel from South Africa with us when we moved here 5 years ago. We would like to take him with us to Australia so I would like to have an idea of the cost before we approach a pet relocation company. Has anyone recently taken their dog with them? I would appreciate it if you could share the associated costs. I have found other threads on this topic but none of them are recent so they might not give an accurate indication of the costs I can expect to pay. Also how much time is required from starting the process to the expected arrival date?

Moving from Dubai, your case would be very different to everybody else because everybody on here would have dealt with South African companies.

Hi Hunts,

We are leaving for Australia soon (from South Africa, though) and we're taking our dog with.

Have a look on the Department of Agriculture's website for timelines:  http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs.  

Generally, you're looking at about 7 months before your dog can come to Australia.  It starts with a rabies vaccination and then you have to wait 4 weeks before drawing blood and having rabies antibody tests done.  Your pet may only come to Australia 180 days after the antibody tests were done.

I would suggest contacting a local pet moving company to get their costs.  On the Australian side, we're using Petraveller and their costs were AUD 2,460.00, which includes import permits, quarantine reservations and stay, airline terminal fees and their professional fee.

It is quite a complicated process, so I would really suggest using a pet moving company to guide you through it.

All the best!  This is very stressful, but well worth knowing that your furkid will share your new life with you.

Hi Hunts,

Pettraveller helped us on Australia's side when we brought over our dog and cat from South Africa.

Their service was great. Perhaps contact them to check on all the requirements, which will be different for coming from Dubai than South Africa.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted a few pet relocation companies in Dubai. The quotes that we have received so far are ridiculously expensive!

31 minutes ago, Hunts said:

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted a few pet relocation companies in Dubai. The quotes that we have received so far are ridiculously expensive!

Hi, We had family recently who also relocated pets from that side (just not to Australia). They also received ridiculous prices at first, until they mentioned to the companies that it is a private move (i.e. company is not sponsoring), which apparently reduced the price quite a bit. Maybe just something to keep in mind?

• Like 1