Applying for 489 Invited Pathway Visa

Cherryford

Hi all

My wife and I are looking to apply for the 489 Invited Pathway family sponsored visa ASAP. I am hoping to get some advice/clarification on a few things if anyone knows?

My details:

- CA(SA) 

- Work Experience: 3 years articles (completed CTA / Honours during year 1); 6 years post-articles. All outside Australia. 

- PTE results:  L/R/W/S = 68/90/66/90

- Family sponsor = my uncle (my mother’s brother) residing in Maudsland, Queensland. 

My score estimation = 80 points

(including the 10 points from family sponsor)

Questions:

1. What documents are required to prove family lineage? My estimation would be: 

(a) My birth certificate 

(b) My Mother’s birth certificate 

(c) My uncle’s birth certificate 

(d) My parents’ marriage certificate (due to diff in surnames)

(e) My grandparents’ marriage certificate

Really hoping (d) and (e) aren’t required.

2. Is there a requirement that the family sponsor has to financially support the applicant?

3. I know this VISA is not permitted if the sponsor lives in Brisbane or Sydney. My uncle lives in Maudsland which is fine. Would I be able to work in Brisbane but live in Maudsland in terms of this VISA?

4. Should I apply to CAANZ for my skills assessment based on my current PTE results? Asking in case I choose to redo the PTE test to get better results for the main VISA application?

5. I read that only ten 489 visas were granted in October round. Are 489 visas awarded in every month like the 189? What is the percentage granted of those applied? Was it 10/15 or 10/150?

Hoping I’ve been comprehensive enough with everything. I know there is always a ticking clock so having found this VISA I’m looking to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. 

Thanks everyone!

2 hours ago, Cherryford said:

Hi all

My wife and I are looking to apply for the 489 Invited Pathway family sponsored visa ASAP. I am hoping to get some advice/clarification on a few things if anyone knows?

My details:

- CA(SA) 

- Work Experience: 3 years articles (completed CTA / Honours during year 1); 6 years post-articles. All outside Australia. 

- PTE results:  L/R/W/S = 68/90/66/90

- Family sponsor = my uncle (my mother’s brother) residing in Maudsland, Queensland. 

My score estimation = 80 points

(including the 10 points from family sponsor)

Questions:

1. What documents are required to prove family lineage? My estimation would be: 

(a) My birth certificate 

(b) My Mother’s birth certificate 

(c) My uncle’s birth certificate 

(d) My parents’ marriage certificate (due to diff in surnames)

(e) My grandparents’ marriage certificate

Really hoping (d) and (e) aren’t required.

2. Is there a requirement that the family sponsor has to financially support the applicant?

3. I know this VISA is not permitted if the sponsor lives in Brisbane or Sydney. My uncle lives in Maudsland which is fine. Would I be able to work in Brisbane but live in Maudsland in terms of this VISA?

4. Should I apply to CAANZ for my skills assessment based on my current PTE results? Asking in case I choose to redo the PTE test to get better results for the main VISA application?

5. I read that only ten 489 visas were granted in October round. Are 489 visas awarded in every month like the 189? What is the percentage granted of those applied? Was it 10/15 or 10/150?

Hoping I’ve been comprehensive enough with everything. I know there is always a ticking clock so having found this VISA I’m looking to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. 

Thanks everyone!

Hi Cherryford

3) Under the family sponsored 489 visa the conditions on your visa stipulate that you would need to live / work / study only in designated areas (this would exclude Brisbane). 

5) Currently (and for some time now) only 10 489 visa applicants have been invited.  The figures of how many people in the 'pool' hoping for an invite is not available (and probably varies over time depending upon a number of factors).  Invites are based on highest points, then where the points are the same the earliest application.  So for example in October, 10 invitations were sent EOIs for family sponsored 489's to receive an invitation you would have needed either more than 80 points or to have submitted an EOI with 80 points prior to the 20th June 2018.  So with 80 points - people had been waiting roughly 4 months.

If you are eligible for a 189 or a state sponsored 190 / 489 you might look at those options as well as they may be faster.  

• Like 2

Hi again

Could anyone confirm for me the official designated areas that I as the applicant am required/permitted to live & work in? As it can be somewhat confusing between a territory sponsored 489 and a family sponsored 489 visa?

My sponsor lives in Maudsland, Queensland, outside of greater Brisbane, and the goal is for us to live and work on the Gold Coast (or Melbourne or Perth, if allowed)

Thanks!

Here is the list of designated areas: 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489/regional-postcodes

As you'll see from the list, you won't be able to live and/or work in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Perth or Melbourne. You'll need to completely accept this fact to be able to move forward from a mindset point of view. There is no wriggle room on designated areas and you have to stick to the list of postcodes / description for the state. 

Once you get PR you'll be able to move to your preferred area. I know it feels like forever to live in an unpreferred area but you'll look back later and realise it was a small price to pay in the end. 

A friend took this visa path and settled in Toowoomba outside Brisbane. There are many opportunities for accountants outside of the "Big Smoke"

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, RYLC said:

Here is the list of designated areas: 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489/regional-postcodes

As you'll see from the list, you won't be able to live and/or work in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Perth or Melbourne. You'll need to completely accept this fact to be able to move forward from a mindset point of view. There is no wriggle room on designated areas and you have to stick to the list of postcodes / description for the state. 

@RYLC thanks for the response.

See but this is where the confusion comes in:

@TeeTMI would you know more on this?

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489/invited-pathway#About

image.png.cf42f988a636129cfc12cadb8208c78d.png

The above states that "you" will need to live/work in a "designated area"

Clicking the link takes you here, where it then mentions "your sponsor"

What I'm hoping is that "designated area" has the same meaning for sponsor and applicant as this does not exclude Gold Coast, Perth or Melbourne. (only greater Brisbane)

image.thumb.png.900dfef5b0cf956c5c3a6cc007cea547.png

If you click on the regional or low population link it bring up the postal codes which are applicable to a territory / state sponsored 489 visa...

image.png.020501052ce40ab9dde1d1192fec2b56.png

• Confused 1

The lists are different depending on the sponsor used

• state / territory (regional Australia and low population growth metropolitan areas)

or

• family (Designated areas of Australia for Skilled Regional visas)

The post codes can vary between the two lists.