Brand New Questions

NastashaBrandsma

Hi everyone! 

So we are BRAND NEW to the immigration process. My husband and I have just paid for our Stage One (skills assessment and English tests) and I would like to touch on some general questions we have and will hopefully gain some knowledge from those in the know! 

Firstly, is it easy to purchase a car in Australia with absolutely no credit history? We would like to pay the car in cash, fully, and not pay it off monthly. 

Secondly, what is the honest opinion of taking a container over? We do have stunning furniture but there isn't anything that we have to have, we are ok to part with everything. Has anyone set up a house for 4 yet and what's the average cost to do so? 

Thirdly, and this weighs so heavily on my heart: our dogs. Is there a maximum amount of dogs you can have in Oz? We currently have 6 dogs, 4 inside small dogs and 2 outside big dogs. They are our babies but 2 are extremely skittish and I'm so stressed out that they won't make the flight. And, we currently have a massive property with ample space. Are there properties in Oz that can comfortably handle 6 dogs (please bear in mind that they are SPOILT!) 

This forum has already been so helpful and I look forward to any feedback! 

Thank you 

Nastasha 

Hi @NastashaBrandsma, welcome to the forum. Your questions have been answered in previous discussions but as I know first hand it can be a mission to find the answers. 

• Purchasing a car in AU is super easy. I literary swiped my bank card! You will just need some sort of proof of residence which you can get when from the bank where you open your bank accounts.
  • Taking a container over is a very personal thing and definitely depends on your situation. We opted to move a few items and got a movecube from SevenSeas. At the end of the day you have to decide what you can live without for around 3 months until your container. In our case we replaced most furniture when we got. Some people chose to "camp" inside their rental homes for the first few months while waiting for their containers. Furniture is quite expensive here and things like mattress prices must never be converted to ZAR! 😉
  • In terms of pets there's definitely a limit depending on where you live. I dont think you will find a house in the city that will let you have 6 dogs. Most rentals specifically state that no pets are allowed. Our two Maltese are about to go into quarantine in RSA and we have been reassured that the dogs make it through the immigration process very well. They might lose some weight but at the end of the day they are ok. 

The immigration process is one of the most difficult things you could ever do so feel free to ask questions and share your experiences.

R

Thank you so so so much for the feedback! 

This forum helps so much. 

Which company are you using to get your pooches over?