Passport expiry

MichKen

Hi all,  

We are about to apply for a renewal of passport from Australia, with our current passports expiring in August 2019.  I believe the wait is something like 6 to 12 months at this point.... we don’t intend traveling and will only “need” the new passport when we do our 887 applications later next year.  My question.... what is the consequences to our current 489 visa if the passports expire before the new ones arrive (if they take more than 8 months).

Thanks in advance!

hi, in the past this was solved via the embassy giving you a temp passport. they no longer issue temp passports, as of 2015. I think its best if you contact them directly. it can be difficult, but keep trying. 

hold on, if you're not a dual national, it maybe faster to contact home affairs in SA directly...you'll get an answer. 

Thanks @new2forum my question is more about the potential impact on my visa than speeding up the process; I am wondering if there is a rule regarding a visa holders passport remaining valid.

Reason I am asking is weighing up the cost of traveling to South Africa to do it in person or just waiting.  If there is no impact on my visa status then I will wait, but if there is an impact then it would probably be better to make the trip to South Africa and do it in person.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I was in the same situation. There is no impact on your current visa - you can legally stay in the country with an expired passport (but you can't leave obviously).

I had to make the same decision as you and to be honest I wish I had gone back and done it. It's been a total nightmare. I sent my paper work to the High Commission in Canberra in May 2018 and I'm still waiting for my new passport. But if you're 100% confident you don't need it in the next 12 months then you should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have heard of people having problems with expired passports when they needed proof of ID.  It is the only problem I can think of. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @michelle4586 and @FromDurbs, I have really been worried about that, so that gives me comfort to know that it doesn’t affect my current visa 😁. I am sorted with local ID so, I am not too worried about that, it may just delay my 887 application then while we wait for this to arrive.  

Thank you again!!!

On 1/23/2019 at 9:11 AM, michelle4586 said:

I sent my paper work to the High Commission in Canberra in May 2018 and I'm still waiting for my new passport

Damn I sent mine in August 2018.... so still a long wait for me... at least I have no rush, just need it to apply for citizenship in about 2.5 years... 😂 hopefully they can get it done by then... just so I can renounce it 😂

On 12/18/2018 at 10:48 PM, MichKen said:

Hi all,  

We are about to apply for a renewal of passport from Australia, with our current passports expiring in August 2019.  I believe the wait is something like 6 to 12 months at this point.... we don’t intend traveling and will only “need” the new passport when we do our 887 applications later next year.  My question.... what is the consequences to our current 489 visa if the passports expire before the new ones arrive (if they take more than 8 months).

Thanks in advance!

There will be no impact on your current visa and you can also apply for your sc887 when it is expired but you will need the new valid passport when they grant the sc887. Seeing as the sc887 is now taking between 10 and 12 months from application date to be granted you would certainly have enough time to get a new passport

• Thanks 1