Our journey to Sydney - starting 5 December 2018

MJO

I used this forum quite extensively to do research on Australian immigration and hopefully this topic gives back to the community!

Previous posts outlined our journey to day, but today was a critical milestone in our process. In short, I am in the process of applying for a 482 / TSS visa and based on current timeliness, expect to fly out to Sydney towards the end of March 2019. During the same time, we are also trying out for the 189/190 PR visas. This was like a dark cloud hanging over my head as the admin involved, various supporting evidence for English and skills as well as CA's requiring 80+ points, made it a daunting task!

My partner and I sat for the PTE Academic test yesterday (4/12/'18) and received our scores this morning (very fast!!) and today really feels like I made a lot of progress. Our skills assessments have been requested and we can submit our EOIs as soon as we get this back. I will update this treat as and when we make progress.

Oh, on the PTE - after messing up one describe image and butchering a repeat sentence, I received 90 for all areas and can claim the much required 20 points for superior English!

• Like 2

Hi MJO,

I think I am only a week or two ahead of you in the TSS process.  Wrote my exam last week and doing medicals tomorrow.  

I don't have a date as yet, but think I am going to move to Sydney beginning Feb!  I have a job waiting on the other side, hence the rush.

Just waiting for visa approval to book flights and try find accommodation.  

Just a word of advice... if you know your dates, book temp/ AIRBNB accommodation asap!  Because I don't have dates yet, I can't book, and when I checked on Airbnb, only the really expensive places have availability!  

2 hours ago, IzzyA said:

Hi MJO,

I think I am only a week or two ahead of you in the TSS process.  Wrote my exam last week and doing medicals tomorrow.  

I don't have a date as yet, but think I am going to move to Sydney beginning Feb!  I have a job waiting on the other side, hence the rush.

Just waiting for visa approval to book flights and try find accommodation.  

Just a word of advice... if you know your dates, book temp/ AIRBNB accommodation asap!  Because I don't have dates yet, I can't book, and when I checked on Airbnb, only the really expensive places have availability!  

Thanks, good suggestion.

Luckily I have a consultant assisting with this and upon arrived they will assist in a permanent place.

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck MJO. Make sure you change your SAICA membership to Australia when you arrive. They offer a new arrivals welcome function and do an annual harbour cruise amongst other things. Also you get them to take VAT off the invoice which is a relief. 

• 2 months later...

A bit of an update since my last post.

We finally received the 482 sponsorship - my start date agreed with the company is 1 April and they only wanted to start with the application at the beginning of March not to lose out on any time. Medicals done and dusted. Now waiting for feedback (and hopefully approval...). Medicals included chest x-ray and general check-up only. No blood samples as that is only required for permanent visas according to the doctor (cost of R910 for the x-rays and R1,100 for the check-up).

What we were told during the 482 process by the agent is that they will submit the 482 nomination for accountant (general). This caused some concern for me as I submitted my EOI for 189/190  for an external auditor. They recommended that I update my skills assessment from CA ANZ which was done. On 20 February we submitted a new EOI for 189 / 190 as accountant (general). 

I am now stressed about the skilled employment part as I cannot update my reference letter and obtain an additional skilled employment assessment from CA ANZ (they do not accept any updates / changes to a reference letter). And now we will have to support skilled employment claims ourselves. I have already obtained a more detailed reference letter from my current employer to show my accounting experience as well.

We received our invitation to apply for NSW nomination yesterday (14 March 2019). Was so excited and immediately submitted the application. Now waiting for approval from NSW to apply for 190. 

At this stage it feels like our 190 may come before our 482!

Plan is to fly out on the 25th of March (hope we receive our 482 before then) to give me a week to settle in that side.

Cost to date:

Item Date Start Date End Cost (R) Quantity Total
Decision made 15-Sep-18        
Unabridged birth certificate 20-Oct-18              75 2            150
Police clearance 20-Oct-18 15-Nov-18          114 2            228
Offer of employment 22-Nov-18        
PTE Test 04-Dec-18         2,645 2         5,290
Skills Assessment - Auditor 06-Dec-18         5,500 2       11,000
Skilled work assessment 06-Dec-18            100 1            100
Lodge EOI (189 & 190) - external audit 17-Dec-18        
Pets - Rabies Test 04-Jan-19         7,784 1         7,784
Medical costs 06-Feb-19         2,010 2         4,020