489 to PR

alih94

I am principal applicant for visa holder -489 Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 489) with my family . I am living Darwin from 26th Sept,2017 and my family (my wife and two sons – 10 years and 3 years old) joined with at 1st april,2018. I have some queries for the below cases.

Case 01 – As I will be principal applicant for permanent residency (887) and my condition for regional staying (2 years stay) and 1 year job will be completed by 26th sept,2019 . for the indicated case –

Can I will eligible for permanent residency (887) with dependence (my wife & sons) at 26th sept,2019?

Case 02 – I am professional telecom network engineer but sadly I cannot manage job at last 1 year 2 month in Darwin & NT. Now I want to move another region like to Geelong or Adelaide. As I want to move from Darwin to another region (low populated area in the given postcode) . Is there any difficulty to get PR?

I'm not an agent but have gone down this path.

There are no short cuts. If you have fulfilled the residency and work requirements for the 887 visa, and adhered to the requirements of the 489 visa, I don't think that there will be an issue. Remember that until you are granted an 887, you need to fulfill the 489 conditions at all times (e.g. stay in the designated area as indicated by your visa etc.).

With regards to case 2, if you obtained regional sponsorship from the state you are currently resident in, you may have had to sign something like a " provide a commitment statement to Australia's Northern Territory (NT) " . You may need to get some kind of formal release from the state to move interstate (contact your state immigration authority in this regard). I'm not sure whether this release is also considered later on should you apply for citizenship. The comments re 489 visa conditions are the same as above.

• 6 months later...

@alih94, I dont have answer to your question from last year. Was hoping to hear if you may have the answer. 

Why I ask is because I got an invite for a 489 VISA on the 13th of June 2019. If all goes according to plan I am hoping to make the move early 2020 to Darwin. 

• 3 weeks later...

We are also on a 489, I would speak to a migration agent before you do anything.