ACT Visa Subclass 190 Territory (State) Sponsorship Changes (as of 29th November 2018)

TeeTMI

ACT Visa Subclass 190 Territory (State) Sponsorship Changes (as of 29th November 2018)

The ACT have developed a new system for consideration of applicants seeking ACT territory nomination. 
Applicants will be required to complete a score-based 'Canberra Matrix' where points will be allocated points against a demonstrated economic contribution or benefit and/or a genuine commitment to be part of the ACT community. 

The Canberra Matrix is aimed at being of benefit to Canberra as opposed to the previous system
Points will be allocated in a range of 12 main criteria (some variation between residents and overseas applicants) including:

•     Length of residence in Canberra
  •     English language proficiency
  •     Spouse / partner English language proficiency
  •     Nominated occupation (open or closed)
  •     Length of current employment in Canberra (not tied to nominated occupation)
  •     ACT employment type
  •     Spouse / Partner employment in Canberra
  •     Education (can be in Canberra, interstate or overseas)
  •     Canberra education
  •     Grandfathering of applicants who arrived to live in Canberra on or before 29 June 2018)
  •     Assets in Canberra (personal or business and unencumbered)
  •     Close family ties to Canberra

An individuals Canberra Matrix score will be ranked against other expressions of interest received and higher rated candidates invited to apply for ACT 190 nomination

act-occupation-list-29-nov-18.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks TeeTMI for the update. Unfortunately (and this is one of my biggest bugbares) what happens when people abuse the system by gettimg a 190SS visa just ro get to Aus and then finding thefirst excuse to move to another state because "it's only a gentleman's agreement" after all. Another fine example of how the masses now have to suffer because of the selfish few. Makes me angry to say the least.

Let'sall be grateful that ACT haven't taken the 190SS  completely off the cards.

I agree (state sponsored myself).  The states have a limited quota of places each year and obviously want those people to come to their state and do not want to use the limited places for a person to go elsewhere.  The states/territories have been pushing for the legislation to be tightened in this regard.  Due to this lack in the Regulations some states can be difficult to convince and you cannot blame them.

From the current conversations going on in the background and depending upon the government next year (election year) I suspect we may see some changes to state sponsorship (and potentially non-state sponsorship) next year.     

• Like 1

Yes I see a big shake up coming. The anti migration voices are starting to get louder especially in Victoria. 

I was also surprised to see many engineering occupations cut from Queensland lists. I think we’re going to see more of this in the tightening up process. The public are starting to demand change. 

We are already seeing a reduction in numbers.  Whilst in previous years the government generally issue visas to the 'Migration program planning levels' in the 2017-18 year we saw a significant shortfall in the number of permanent resident visas granted mainly in the skilled and family streams. 
Yesterday the Prime Minister was also discussing cuts/changes https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/20/scott-morrison-flags-cutting-migration-in-response-to-population-concerns?

Feels like we are too late trying to move already.

Will most likely come over on a 482, but ideally would want PR from the start and as such, running the 189 / 190 process in parallel. Not very optimistic getting a 189 or 190 though.

Not sure if you know, but we are two CAs (I will be main applicant and partner would be added for the additional 5 points). Not sure if this counts in our favour at all (other than getting the additional 5 points?) We do not have any kids (nor will we) so will not be a burden in terms of free schooling. Wishful thinking I guess!

16 hours ago, MJO said:

Feels like we are too late trying to move already.

Will most likely come over on a 482, but ideally would want PR from the start and as such, running the 189 / 190 process in parallel. Not very optimistic getting a 189 or 190 though.

Not sure if you know, but we are two CAs (I will be main applicant and partner would be added for the additional 5 points). Not sure if this counts in our favour at all (other than getting the additional 5 points?) We do not have any kids (nor will we) so will not be a burden in terms of free schooling. Wishful thinking I guess!

Currently partner points are just that 5 points - but every little helps.

If I think back over time - including to the time when we were migrating here from South Africa ourselves there have always been ups and downs in the system. 

We were looking for hoops to jump through because of unexpected changes that occurred half way through our application and in this business I see changes continue to happen every year or so since then.  Depending on the changes these can be positive for some and negative for others, my advice to anyone is that if you know that you want PR and are eligible to apply at any point you should aim to do that for the security and peace of mind it brings.

From what you have said you have a Plan A, B and C and there could be more options if needed.  Running the 189/190 in parallel is good thinking, many people are either not able to do this or leave it until later down the line due to the fact that things can change it is always good to apply when you can just in case. 

• Like 1