Move PR to a UK passport

Errol357

Hi All, a strange, complicated one, so I hope someone can help with this!

My SA passport expired earlier this year. I applied for renewal at the start of August. I also have a UK passport (thanks Dad ❤️).

I have the option to travel to the UK on a 6 month secondment mid December.

Problem is, there is almost no chance I'll get my new SA passport before then.

Can I transfer my PR visa to my UK passport?

I will also need to apply for a returning residents visa as my 5 year window also expired in August. Not sure how that will work either...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

@Errol357 are you concerned about the fact that the PR visa is printed in your expired passport? As far as I’m aware it is no longer an issue and everything is electronic. Even though your SA passport has expired, your PR still stands alone. No airport officials will require a hard copy any more. Maybe print your visa grant letter and travel with that as well as both passports.

Can comeone else confirm that?

As far as the RRV, have you tried to apply for it online? My husband travels with his and it only took less than 24 hours because he has lived in Aus for years (makes it a fast-track as far as we could tell). 

Maybe the online application will ask if you’ve had a change of passport number. Tbh I think you will struggle to switch everything to UK passport but why not call Immigration and ask? 

My husband has always used his UK passport for everything Aus, he only uses his SA one to fly in & out of SA. 

I’d call and ask!

Edited by Bonny

It's entirely possible that everything is linked already, because part of the visa application initially was to state all your current passports - agree with @Bonny to just call and ask.