Anyone in the Wynnum, Manly, Lota areas?

forrie

Hi

We are looking for a house to rent in these areas because of the nice open space along the bay and the relaxed atmosphere. Train station also closeby for me to go to work in the city.

Anyone from this area?

We have three small kids(6,8,10).Any experience with the schools there? Our children went to Afrikaans schools in SA, so next year will be a change for them.

Manly State School looks good (from their website).

Thanks! Johan

Edited by forrie

hi forrie

I have friends who used to live in Wynnum and they mentioned the commute into the city was a real pain! I can however ask them about their experience with the schools there.

It's a wonderful area to live and if you're using the train for the commute you'll be fine. Even if you are driving it's okay. A bit bumper to bumper like any commute but really nothing compared to Sydney or Melbourne. 

Hi Forrie,

We're looking at moving to that area soon from Sydney (also looking at Wellington Point as we have a friend living there). Don't worry about the kids - they adapt so quickly.  Ours (16 and 6) were in Afrikaans schools and after 3 months here are well settled in at school.  I can already hear the beginning of an Aussie accent in my 6 year old son!

Thanks for the feedback!

My fam arrives end of the month. Ive signed for a rental house in Lota in Esplanada Rd for $480 a week. The train station is 2 street blocks away and the Lota state school is 3 blocks.

Currently I am in West End and while the city is nice and exciting for a few weeks (and walking distance from work) I am in dire need for some open space. (Coming from a 2 ha plot outside Vanderbijl with chickens and dogs and stuff to do, I can just think that my kids are not going to like it in the city).

The open space all along the bay from Wynnum to Manly to Lota is just great and you can cycle/walk about 4 km along the bay. Every second week there is a market in Manly in the park. Wynnum has a huge pool and I think Manly also has a swimming pool. then there is the Lota boardwalk that takes you for a few hundred meters through the Mangroves.  

I dont think the bay area is for everyone. The guesthouse owner here in West End told me the people there is rough, but I think he is just a cynical old man and hasnt been there for years (well, we do come from vanderbijlpark...🤙😁). Ive also heard that driving to the city by car can be an issue (but not to the airport which is north of the river). My commute to work to Brisbane South will be about 38 min train + about 17 min walk in the mornings.

Lota has a very small school (<300), but that may not necessarily be a problem. Maybe I should make an appointment with the chief there to get a feeling for the school. A nice thing about schools in Brisbane is that most (or all?) have music classes - so we dont have to pay for very expensive lessons (for 3 kids) anymore like in SA. One of the best Judo clubs is also around the corner (Ohori in Ransome) so the kids can continue with an activity they also did in SA.

So let see how it goes!!😎

Also please make contact if you are in the area and especially if you have kids......

Edited by forrie
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi forrie yes there are some dodgy looking houses in Lota but I also thought it looks like a good place to invest, because everything around it is more expensive, and land so close to the sea will obviously become more scarce over time. If you are from vanderbijl you will also not have a problem, hahaha! (I’m just teasing ...Suspension City girl here 🤡😂

Please let us know how it all works out and good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi forrie.

We have moved into a house in Birkdale right next to Three Paddocks park. Loving the proximity to the bay - we are 300 m from the water and 3 km from Wellington Point.  Give me a shout if you want to meet up.

• Like 2