Time to wait for medicals & police clearance

JCM

Hi all. Application for 190 is submitted yesterday 2 Nov after invite received!

Since the 12 month rule for medicals and police clearance determines the activation period/last date of first entry 12 months later, how long can I wait to get these done in order to stretch my 12 months? Some chance we would only go in Dec 2019 so it would mean an extra flight for whole family just to comply IF I got the docs now this month.

As the time period for case processing is around 90-100 days from what I've noticed on the forum, when will the case manager only really pick up my file and start working? I don't want to burn my fingers or risk anything but also don't want to fly family of 6 twice!

Lastly, we also need a UK police clearance. Will that clearance, the SA clearance or SA medicals date be the set starting date for 12 month entry?

Any advice please! I also thought to maybe not risk anything - rather ask once granted for a slight extention of date of first entry??

You can wait for you CO to request both PCC and Medicals. You will then be required to provide these within a given time frame. You can take a look at Immitracker website to get an idea of the time frame.

https://myimmitracker.com/en

Your entry date will be set to the oldest of the PCC or medicals. In other words they all have a 12 month validity, and the one which expires first would determine your entry date. So whichever you do/receive first will determine the date.

Edited by frosty

11 hours ago, JCM said:

rather ask once granted for a slight extention of date of first entry?

This is hardly ever given. There would have to be extremely extenuating circumstances and I haven't read of anybody on here who was given an extension.  Running short on time isn't a reason unfortunately.  So as answered above, best to wait for them to be requested and/or start judiciously packing up the parts of your lives that you can (decluttering, simplifying etc). so that its doable to get here within say 2-3 months. Others have done it. It's tight but doable.

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning everyone.

We've received our invite to apply - but we don't yet have our Police Clearance Certificate. It seems that it is a document required to apply for a visa. Could anyone correct me if I am wrong? Could we apply without first obtaining our police clearance certificates?

I've looked here, under 'Character documents' https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-independent-189/points-tested#HowTo

I am asking here since you've just applied for your visa, JCM. So perhaps we could wait until contacted by case officer?

You can apply for it and attached the document once you receive it. It may give you a message saying that there are missing documents, but you can continue attaching documents after you have applied. Chances are that you would have the documentation before case officer requests it, which is better than waiting for him/her to first request it which will delay the process.if you don’t submit your application you will anyway not be contacted by a case officer, your invitation will just expire 

Yes you can wait for the officer but it will delay the process by some extra 3 months from what I could see on Immi tracker. The offricer again shouldn't ask within 60-90 days from what I can see.

Hope it helps.

Frosty, JCM, thanks very much. You've answered what I really wanted to know - we can apply with the PCC outstanding and provide it later. We just don't want to let our invitation expire, which it will, January 2019.

We actually want to delay the process slightly, as we have a certain target entry date in mind - March 2020. That is ±16 months from now. With police clearance expiring (from the Australian perspective) in 12 months from the date of issue, and our deadline for the application being 9 January 2019, it seems that, should our visas be granted, the activation date would fall too early.

Is it possible to provide a newer police clearance certificate at a later stage during the visa application process (let's say, issued at the same time as the medical clearance), which would affect the activation date of the visas?