University fees

Rubie

Hi all, just wanted to find out from all moms and dads with kids going to university how you paying for the fees. My son in year 12 this year wants to go to Uni next year and the course totals $75,000 for 4 years study. We have been wrecking our brains In trying to figure out how and best way to pay for this? Any advise and past experience would be great. 

3 hours ago, Rubie said:

Hi all, just wanted to find out from all moms and dads with kids going to university how you paying for the fees. My son in year 12 this year wants to go to Uni next year and the course totals $75,000 for 4 years study. We have been wrecking our brains In trying to figure out how and best way to pay for this? Any advise and past experience would be great. 

We need to know whether you are citizens or PR/temp visa as that is what makes a difference to the fees.  If you are citizens then he can use the government funded HECS system where nothing needs to be paid back until he is working and reached a minimum salary.

If you are PR or temp visa then you'll have to pay fees.  I don't know whether banks offer student loans nowadays. They haven't in the past. Worst case scenario is that you son will have to work and study part time so that he only has to pay subject by subject.

Have you contacted the uni to discuss payment options? 

1 hour ago, RYLC said:

We need to know whether you are citizens or PR/temp visa as that is what makes a difference to the fees.  If you are citizens then he can use the government funded HECS system where nothing needs to be paid back until he is working and reached a minimum salary.

If you are PR or temp visa then you'll have to pay fees.  I don't know whether banks offer student loans nowadays. They haven't in the past. Worst case scenario is that you son will have to work and study part time so that he only has to pay subject by subject.

Have you contacted the uni to discuss payment options? 

Thanks for response. We on a PR. Will have to call the university and ask.

Check if you qualify for a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). This means that you pay considerably less than international students.PR should qualify, but there was a proposal to have this taken away, so make sure with the uni. On PR, you will have to pay a 'student contribution' (so not the full international fee), but you will have to pay that upfront, per term (for example, if the first year courses costs $20k, you may have to pay $10k in the first term, and $10k in the second term, depending on how many subjects etc.). As PR you do not qualify for the deferral of the student contribution (HECS_HELP), which is only available to citizens.

The below link may help:

https://www.studyassist.gov.au/help-loans-and-csps/commonwealth-supported-places

@Rubie  we are currently in the same situation.  We have PR and my son has already been accepted at UTas in Tasmania to study civil engineering.  He has been granted admission on a CSP (Commonwealth Supported Place).  We sent an email to the uni to first find out if he will be recognised as a domestic student, which was an affirmative.  From there we applied for the CSP.  Now we have to just sort out what subjects to enrol for next year and pay accordingly.  Payment is upfront though.

Edited by March2

On 10/29/2018 at 8:33 AM, Rubie said:

Rubie when do you qualify for Citizenship? $75k sounds quite expensive. My units cost between $1200-$1600 each and I had 24 units (3 year degree). As others have said, you will want a Commonwealth Supported Place. With PR you do not pay International Student fees (to the best of my knowledge). I also know of people who took a gap year (or two) while they waited for Citizenship, so they could get Fee-Help (HECS). Sorry if it is confusing...yes it is! You can usually go in to the Uni and sit down with a student advisor and discuss everything. Just phone first to make sure they are available and not in exam block or something. Good luck!! 

Edited by Bonny

4 hours ago, Bonny said:

Rubie when do you qualify for Citizenship? $75k sounds quite expensive. My units cost between $1200-$1600 each and I had 24 units (3 year degree). As others have said, you will want a Commonwealth Supported Place. With PR you do not pay International Student fees (to the best of my knowledge). I also know of people who took a gap year (or two) while they waited for Citizenship, so they could get Fee-Help (HECS). Sorry if it is confusing...yes it is! You can usually go in to the Uni and sit down with a student advisor and discuss everything. Just phone first to make sure they are available and not in exam block or something. Good luck!! 

Thanks Bonny for the advise. We have only been here a year now on PR. Our son wants to start Uni next year.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 3:36 PM, Pell said:

Check if you qualify for a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). This means that you pay considerably less than international students.PR should qualify, but there was a proposal to have this taken away, so make sure with the uni. On PR, you will have to pay a 'student contribution' (so not the full international fee), but you will have to pay that upfront, per term (for example, if the first year courses costs $20k, you may have to pay $10k in the first term, and $10k in the second term, depending on how many subjects etc.). As PR you do not qualify for the deferral of the student contribution (HECS_HELP), which is only available to citizens.

The below link may help:

https://www.studyassist.gov.au/help-loans-and-csps/commonwealth-supported-places

On 10/31/2018 at 8:58 PM, March2 said:

@Rubie  we are currently in the same situation.  We have PR and my son has already been accepted at UTas in Tasmania to study civil engineering.  He has been granted admission on a CSP (Commonwealth Supported Place).  We sent an email to the uni to first find out if he will be recognised as a domestic student, which was an affirmative.  From there we applied for the CSP.  Now we have to just sort out what subjects to enrol for next year and pay accordingly.  Payment is upfront though.

Yes he applied for CSP places but via the VTAC process. So now we waiting for outcome. 

We are on PR and my daughter was granted a CSP to study Biomedical Science, we still have to pay around $5,000.00 per semester. She is now 2 years into her degree. We apply for citizenship in November but due to the processing times, it looks like we will have to pay another 2 semesters......eekk!

6 hours ago, Parks said:

We are on PR and my daughter was granted a CSP to study Biomedical Science, we still have to pay around $5,000.00 per semester. She is now 2 years into her degree. We apply for citizenship in November but due to the processing times, it looks like we will have to pay another 2 semesters......eekk!

Parks is that $5000 for 4 units? That sounds about what I paid as a citizen. What is the alternative? HECS? 

So in other words her whole degree will

cost about $30k?

Edited by Bonny
Spelling