B.Compt degree assessment and job market in Australia

Andre81

Hi Everyone,

We have been fortunate enough to secure a 189 visa invite with my qualification and are only awaiting the approval thereof. So we are starting to think of our options when we get there…

My wife has a B.Compt Accounting Science degree with UNISA and is registered with SAIPA as a Professional Accountant in South Africa and we would like to do a skills assessment to see where she fits in the Australian market.  She was not going to pursue becoming a CA (SA) here in South Africa and we believe it would be too much for her trying for the CA/CTA in Australia.

We have read many of the threads on the forum but have not been able to get clear direction. The three bodies that she can do her skills assessment with are CPA, ICAA and IPA.  

1. It seems like all the job adverts for Accountants ask for CA/CPA, so I am not sure if it is worth doing a skills assessment through ICAA or IPA?

2. With CPA we believe she will be able to register as an Associate Accountant?

3. Is it worth doing a skills assessment at all for her?

4. With her current qualification we believe she can apply for Assistant Accountant positions?

5. We assume that she will need to do some upskilling in tax like the CPA 1? Is it worth doing it?

6. What can she do with her qualification as it currently is, with perhaps the minimum upskilling?

Some guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Hi Andre,

I am not an accountant and I can only give you a very basic overview of the market for accountants

The are many accountants in Australia, it seems like getting your CA qualification is the norm.

The CA qualification isn't held in the same high regard like it is in SA, its just like having a regular qualification.

Hi Andre

I think IPA has a reprocitrical agreement with SAIPA and she will be able to register as a full member.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am still studying - doing my BCOMPT Accounting science degree in Financial Accounting (CA Stream) through (UNISA) I will be graduating in Mid June 2019. I am about to start the visa application in  the hope to immigrate to Australia late 2019/ early 2020. My partner is a Senior Professional Architectural Technologist and also a memeber of SACAP(Professional body)  

Is the BCOMPT degree recognized in Australia? Will i be able to get into a training contract with that in Australia? or is it sufficient for me to find a job? Is it advisable for me to do my CTA here in South Africa and then immigrate? Or is it advisable to apply with just my degree?

Currently i am a senior accounts receivables clerk at Barloworld so i do have some experience - roughly 3 Years.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Thank you for all the responses.

Bianca022, perhaps you should get some advice from a migration agent on your eligibility and chances to apply for a visa. To my knowledge, none of the experience gained prior to obtaining your degree will count towards getting points in the Expression of Interest. Perhaps your partner is on the skilled occupation list and may be the better one to apply. The migration agents are in a better position to advise.

It is always worth pursuing a CA qualification, whether here in AU or in SA. Granted, SA may be more difficult to obtain, and yes, there are a lot of CA's here, mostly because it is slightly easier to get the qualification. It's more flexible and tailored to suit people who work. The CA qualification here is not the big deal that it is in SA, something which I found irritating. But that should not be a deterrent in you getting one.