Barnes

Question

Hey everyone,

I am in the starting process of immigrating to go work in Australia. I am as Aussies would call a Secondary Teacher and I am having difficulty figuring out where to start with my process. I do not have sufficient funds to travel to Australia on my own, so I need a school there to sponsor/nominate me?

1. Is it possible to be sponsored by a school?

2. If a school is able to sponsor me, what is my first step to being sponsored?

3. What Visa would I apply for to be sponsored?

Kind regards

Bianca

5 answers to this question

I see you have another thread where you describe yourself as an Intermediate Teacher so perhaps to avoid confusion, you can tell us what age group you teach now, what age group you did your prac teaching with and also how many days of prac teaching you did. That will make it easier to give specific answers. 

Unfortunately schools do not sponsor people due in part for the need for teacher registration in the specific state you'll be living needing to be done beforehand. You can't teach without it, they can't employ anybody who doesn't have one and registration has a face-to-face portion where they need to see you in person.

Here is a link to a thread on the application process for teachers in general which will give you more information but we really need to know the age group you teach to be able to provide better advice. 

Edited by RYLC

Good day,

Yes I do have another thread, my apologies. I am new to this and may have gone overboard.

In answer to your questions, I teach grade 6 learners who are aged between 11-13. 2018 is my second year teaching this grade. I have had supervised practicals during my undergrad, which where at 6 week intervals per year. So in total I have had 24 weeks or 168 days of supervised practicals with children aged 10-15.

Thank you for the link, I will check it out. RYLC

There is no problem with having more than one thread. I only asked so that we know whether your equivalent level in Australia will be Intermediate (also called Middle School) or Secondary School teacher.

My questions about prac teaching are because you need a minimum of 45 days.  Here is the link to AITSL who assess  qualifications for teachers. https://www.aitsl.edu.au/migrate-to-australia

It really looks to me like you'll be assessed as a Middle School teacher based on the ages you prac taught and the age you now teach. And unfortunately at this stage Middle School teachers are not on the skills list for migration for the main applicant.

From my reading of the Secondary School Teacher (high school) criteria, you would have to be able to prove that you prac taught children in the age group of 13 to 18 years old for at least 45 days. You might also want to contact one of the migration agents on here for an initial assessment of your chances of getting a visa. The agents are @TeeTMI and @SD_MOA

Depends who recommended it. If it was a registered agent then I’d think they would have the expertise to give that advice.