Birth Certificate Question

frosty

Question

Hi All,

My wife and I are in the process of applying for a 189 visa. We both had our unabridged birth certificates printed earlier this year. We received both within a decent period of time, however my wife's certificate had her Married name printed and not her Maiden name. Is this a problem, or has anyone else had a similar experience? I have spoken to a few people at DHA as well as some companies who assist with documents, but still have not been able to get a conclusive answer. Some say as the certificate is printed after marriage it is standard, others say that it should always show the maiden name. Should I try obtain a new copy or will this one suffice?

3 answers to this question

Hi Frosty, 

I have stumbled across this post while looking for some clarity regarding unabridged birth certificates. 

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to your original question (sorry), however, I wanted to ask you if you definitely require unabridged bc's when applying for a 189 visa as an adult? 

My husband and I submitted our visa application (also for 189) mid-November, but without the unabridged version of our birth certificates, but now I am wondering if perhaps we should obtain them...just in case. Our understanding was that unabridged bc's were only needed for kids, and given that we don't have any, we didn't get them. 

Good luck for your application, by the way. What an exciting process! :)

@Roxanne I am also not 100% sure on this. From what I have read and speaking to others who have applied, it seems as if most do obtain the Unabridged Birth Certificate. Apart from the issue I had (which even DHA can’t give me a definitive aswer for) the process to obtain them is not too painful, but can end up taking a few months. We decided to obtain them whilst we were obtaining other documents and doing the English tests. It wouldn’t hurt to try and get hold of them in the meantime, if your CO does request it atleast they will be on the way. We decided to rather be on the safe side. You never know when you may need it down the line.

• Like 1

I think you need to be able to prove your age and birth date, but a passport is also acceptable for that.   I also think you just need a birth certificate, not necessarily an unabridged birth certificate.  If you do not have any birth certificate I suggest you apply for one, but if you already have one I do not think you need to get an unabridged one.  You would need a birth certificate further down the line, I believe, when you apply for citizenship. 

• Like 1