Linked article about parenting in Aus

Bonny

I came across this blog which interviews parents who have emigrated from the US (mostly) to other countries. There is a South African one which focussed on South African parents too. I found some of the related posts about other countries like France and Wales fascinating. But I thought I’d link the Aus one for here.

Please please read the comments too, because it does give a more balanced perspective. For the record I’ve lived here 12 years and never even heard of a ‘sleep camp’. Maybe it’s common in a different state. Also, fighting off kangaroos with a stick sounds extremely unlikely 😂 Do agree with the houses being freezing in winter, well at least in Adelaide & Brisbane, where I’ve lived. 

https://cupofjo.com/2014/08/14-surprising-things-about-parenting-in-australia/

Thanks to Cup of Jo for the read

Interesting article thanks Bonny

re “sleep camp”: this is definitely available in every state. I know it as sleep school though and we were told about it during ante natal classes and child health nurse visits once babies were born. Probably wouldn’t be on a person’s radar if their children weren’t born here because it’s for very young babies though. 

• Thanks 1

I work in paediatric research and there is quite a lot of research on sleeping and interventions to help babies sleep and home help available for parents when kids do not sleep.  There are even residential facilities where they book the family in for a week and teach the baby to sleep.  Dare I say "First world problems????"

On 10/11/2018 at 2:53 PM, FromDurbs said:

I work in paediatric research and there is quite a lot of research on sleeping and interventions to help babies sleep and home help available for parents when kids do not sleep.  There are even residential facilities where they book the family in for a week and teach the baby to sleep.  Dare I say "First world problems????"

I wish we’d had that. 3 kids in 5 years, and I don’t think we slept through a dozen times 😋