Family member with mental disability

Estherb

I want to bring my brother in law to Aus from South Africa. He has a mental disability. He is 48. What visa can I apply for to get him here. 

Unfortunately I doubt he'll pass the medical to get into Australia as an adult. I'll tag a migration agent here to confirm for you but I don't think there is a suitable visa in this case. Please can you comment @TeeTMI

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that it will be difficult. Unfortunately my mum in law is getting old and we dont know how much longer she will be able to care for him. 

Hi Estherb - welcome to the forum

This is generalised comment as it would be inappropriate to comment on your situation without knowing the details.

Generally speaking there is no specific visa that would provide you with a permanent residence visa to enable you to bring a sibling to Australia in order to care for them.

In addition to this all visas have a Health Criteria that must be met, one of the criteria in determining this would be the cost.  The costing would consider the cost of any treatment / care / benefits  that would potentially be available to an Australian in similar circumstances.  

That said I should include that, some people who have failed to meet the health criteria, may look at options through e.g. appeals and requesting Ministerial Interventions to try to permit a relative to remain in Australia.  This can be a very a long winded, costly and stressful process which may or may not succeed. 

• Thanks 1