Getting TV channels on South African Samsung TV

Anusha

hi there,

Been a while since i was online. Hope someone can guide us on how to setup our TV channels. We moved over to Adelaide and our stuff arrived a month ago. We brought over our South African Samsung Series 5 TV purchased in 2014 and are having problem setting up tv channels. Hubby tried the auto tune button but it is only referencing analogue and unable to pick up any channels. 

We are only able to watch netflix using the googlechrome box.

All the techies out there, Pls help!

morning, there shouldnt be any regional coding on the unit. try to set your location as australia, it might be default to Africa/middle east. 

if all else fails, you can get a set top box for about $30 and plug into the TV. 

You can go into the (hidden) service menu and change the (factory) regional setting for your Samsung. I'm not sure about TV channel access but this would enable you to, for example, get apps that you wouldn't be able to get if your settings were ZA.

You'd need to google a bit to find out how to access the service menu for your particular model - its usually accessed through an elaborate sequence of remote button clicks (together with a synchronised dance routine). Try googling things like "Samsung TV Change Region And Local Set Area with Service Menu" or "How to Change Your Samsung Smart TV Region or Country To Install Extra Apps" (add your model number). You'll also find some guides on Youtube.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert but did manage to change my TV's factory setting to AU. 

if you do get a tuning service to help "repair" it, it will cost you about $100 for a simple menu fix!

Yes, i also changed my region. TV worked and i got all the related apps installed as well.

But i think for just picking up the channels, make sure you have a digital areal and the tuner should pick it up.

Also, just to add, Australia used DVB-T standard for Free to air digital broadcast, while South Africa used DVB-T2, your TV would have to support the former if its to work in Australia.

thx for your feedback, unfort it is not working. We will have to try the setup box.

Isn't South Africa still on analogue TV signals? Australia is all digital with analogue being turned off a few years ago. I think a set top box is your only option.

My LG tv purchased in South Africa works perfectly here in Australia, digital channels and all!