British citizenship & visa

Jaydi

Hi!

We are thinking about going to Australia. 
I've been trying to read a lot on this site, but we are very ignorant (and confused!). We are thinking of applying for a 189 visa, my husband will be the main applicant (I assume he should be, since I will probably be at home with our young children). On the list of things, he should be able to qualify for 65 points. 
We want to move to Sydney because we have family there. 

I am in the process of applying for my British citizenship, but I will retain my South African citizenship. 
So, if I do get it, will it be of any help with regards to emigrating to Australia?

Kind regards,

Good luck with your move.

As far as I am aware with a British passport you would not need to prove English Language proficiency, otherwise all the rest of the process still applies in obtaining a visa. To improve your points however you may want to sit the English test to get more than 7 in each band to obtain 10 points towards your visa or more than 8 in each band to get 20 points towards your visa. A British passport automatically qualifies you for 6 in each band which avoids the test but does not contribute points to your visa.

I am sure an agent can point you in the right direction by reviewing your specific situation.

Hello Jaydi,

As TIOTC says the only benefit of a UK passport is that you will not have to prove your English skills - this is good if you are not the primary applicant.  Choosing who to use as the primary applicant is not influenced by who will be working once in Australia so it is possible that you could be the primary applicant.

If you would like me to review both your and your husband's options please drop me an email to the address below.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!
So if I do get the British citizenship and I am not the primary applicant for the visa, do I still need 65+ points for a visa? I mean, must my husband and I get more than 65+?

7 hours ago, Jaydi said:

Thanks!
So if I do get the British citizenship and I am not the primary applicant for the visa, do I still need 65+ points for a visa? I mean, must my husband and I get more than 65+?

The only benefit for the 189 visa when holding a British passport would be that you need not take the English test (you would still need the points).  However, an English passport provides 0 points towards English, if you want points you would still need to do the test. 

Note that at the moment 65 points would be insufficient to obtain an invitation to apply for a 189 visa.  The most recent round of invitations was to people with 70+ points. 

People with only 65 points have not been invited to apply for a 189 since 2017  http://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/DaystoInvite  depending upon your circumstances/preferences there may be other options/strategies.