Unabridged birth certificate really required? 186

Itsme

Morning all,

Can anyone tell me if an unabridged birth cert is really required for a 186 visa (or others I guess)? Quote from the official doc requirements list is below.

I'm applying for it (the birth cert), but if it dones't come in time do you recon they'd accept scans of mine and my parents ID books instead?

If anyone has experience on this I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

the doc lists states:

"

• A copy of your birth certificate showing both parents’ names. If you do not have a birth certificate and are unable to get one, you must provide a copy of the identification pages of at least one of the following documents:
    • family book showing both parents’ names
    • identification document issued by the government
    • court-issued documents that verify your identity.
  • If you are unable to provide one of the above documents, you must provide other acceptable evidence that you are who you claim to be."

Hello Itsme,

An unabridged birth cert is only required for children.  Adults can provide the short certificates which are normally available over the counter at Home Affairs.  If you are unable to provide a birth certificate at all then you will need to provide an affidavit stating why as well as other proof of your birth date (passport, ID book).

I hope this helps.

Regards

• Like 1

Hi SD_MOA

Could you please elaborate on your answer? Most what I've read indicated that the unabridged birth certificate is required - some even suggesting that a vault copy should be presented.

Edit:

To add to that, as my wife will be co-applicant when we apply for our 189 V, is the marriage certificate I have - the original we received on the wedding day - sufficient? The A5 handwritten document is simple titled "Marriage Certificate", contains the details of Husband, Wife, and Marriage officer.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by legomanzeal
Added detail regarding marriage certificate

Hello Legoman,

I can confirm that an unabridged birth cert is only required for children.  Adults can provide the short certificates which are normally available over the counter at Home Affairs.  If you are unable to provide a birth certificate at all then you will need to provide an affidavit stating why as well as other proof of your birth date (passport, ID book).

I have had many applications go though the system with short birth certificates for adults.

Typically the Department like the computer generated marriage certificates.

Regards

On 9/26/2018 at 8:58 AM, SD_MOA said:

Hello Itsme,

An unabridged birth cert is only required for children.  Adults can provide the short certificates which are normally available over the counter at Home Affairs.  If you are unable to provide a birth certificate at all then you will need to provide an affidavit stating why as well as other proof of your birth date (passport, ID book).

I hope this helps.

Regards

Thank you Stephen.

We're just concerned with getting our timing right - we don't want to submit an EOI, get the invitation, and then have the time period lapse because of missing documents.

We still have to submit the EOI - I am just waiting for positive skills assessment, and I've done the language test already. If all goes well, I expect to receive an invite soon.

So my next question is, at what stage of the process is the proof of age submitted? If this proof is not sufficient, do we get time to go sort out documents, or will the 60 days window between the invitation to apply and application expire?

Hello Legoman,

You don't need to have all the documents ready to apply for the visa so you don't need to wait for them all before applying for the visa.  The documents can be uploaded after the application has been submitted.  If the department are not happy with any of the proof provided then they email you a request for further information and give you 28 days to provide it.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Regards