SA Learner's licence usefulness?

Frenzyt

Hi all,

Does anybody have any information for me about learner's licence and driver's licences in Canberra?

My teenage son is old enough to write his learner's in South Africa, but not old enough for his driver's licence yet, and we are likely ending up in Canberra before he turns 18 and able to get his driver's licence in South Africa.  Would the learner's licence be useful in Canberra?

As far as I know Victoria only converts RSA drivers licences that are older than 5 years? If Canberra is the same he will probably need to go the Aussie route anyway. Better to look it up online, and if in doubt email them and ask. Australians are much better at answering emails than South African state depts.

How does it work, getting a driver's in Aus? Is there also a learner's type test first, or do they just go straight to driver's? 

Thanks for your reply 🙂

I'm not sure if it's the same in all the states, but the ones I know of work with 4 types of license: Lerners, P1, P2, Full license. I'm not sure how long they are on each, or what the conditions are. But it's very effective at preventing youth from killing themselves due to reckless driving.

• 2 weeks later...

In the ACT, you can get your driver's licence at 17 so he'd better off doing here in terms of age. In some States in Australia, you need to prove that you have around 150 hours of supervised driving using a signed log book before getting your licence. It may be worth looking into it and starting one in SA. 

• 1 month later...

Well, I walked in with my SA Drivers License into the Dept of Transport&Lic in Brisbane CBD and 15 min later walked out with the QLD driver license. It took only one lady to process my info, take my photo and receive my payment. The driver license card they deliver to you......how easy is that?

I think it has changed and previously SAns had to do a test.

Not any more.

where is the days I had to take a whole day leave to visit the license dept in vanderbijl 😏..........

Edited by forrie
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, forrie said:

Well, I walked in with my SA Drivers License into the Dept of Transport&Lic in Brisbane CBD and 15 min later walked out with the QLD driver license. It took only one lady to process my info, take my photo and receive my payment. The driver license card they deliver to you......how easy is that?

I think it has changed and previously SAns had to do a test.

Not any more.

where is the days I had to take a whole day leave to visit the license dept in vanderbijl 😏..........

The Vanderbijl department is the absolute worst. I use to travel to Sasol...🤣

I'm not sure I want to bother in SA. It's just a ton of money. I think we will wait until we are in Canberra, which will be in 3&half months!! 

@Frenzyt In the meantime, your learner can start practicing the free online learner’s test provided by the RACQ. You can do it over & over, questions change randomly. Enjoy 😉 

Edited by Bonny
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2018 at 10:12 PM, Frenzyt said:

@BonnyOh wow! Thank you! 

Only a pleasure! Note that it is the Qld version, ACT might have a couple of subtle variations. For example some states don’t ever allow learners to drive faster than 90kph, some believe the learners must get used to going faster and blend in with what other road users are doing. So there might be a couple of tiny variations. But it will be 99% the same.

@Bonny I have heard that, I think it's the provisional license. They only get 4 points etc. But this is a great start, thank you so much. Getting my kids to start studying now so that as soon as we get there, they can write the test and then start the driving debacle. 

@frosty I know I can get my Aus liscene immediately. Its the kids that have not yet done theirs and also, from what I've read up, if a South African has had his liscene for less than 5 years then they have to redo the Aus one. Guess we will find out when we get there! 

@Frenzyt Yup here we go - it says they don’t require you to have held a licence for 5 years, but they do require you to be older than 25. 

“If you are a holder of a full driver licence and from and approved country or jurisdiction or a holder of a full driver licence and from an experienced driver recognised country or jurisdiction and are 25 years of age or older no tests are required.”

South Africa is on the approved list.

Here is the link:-

https://www.accesscanberra.act.gov.au/app/answers/detail/a_id/1581/~/act-driver-licence-information#!tabs-8

Edited by Bonny
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...