Driver's licence confirmation letter

Sunet

Question: Do you need these letters to convert your drivers license in Oz? I was told by friends that lived there (but came back to SA) that we will need to re-do the entire drivers test there to get an Oz driving license?

It was like that many years ago, then they changed it where you could simply take your SA licence to be converted to an Aus licence.

NSW has changed their requirements that you now need to take your SA licence card together with a confirming letter from SA licencing dept stating that this is your licence, it's valid etc.

It's not a myth, we have been to two seperate licencing dept in Sydney and were advised of this requirement.

Edited by Sunet
spelling error
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sunet said:

It was like that many years ago, then they changed it where you could simply take your SA licence to be converted to an Aus licence.

NSW has changed their requirements that you now need to take your SA licence card together with a confirming letter from SA licencing dept stating that this is your licence, it's valid etc.

It's not a myth, we have been to two seperate licencing dept in Sydney and were advised of this requirement.

Oh thank goodness!! I was having nightmares about me having to re-do the drivers test and failing the parallel parking LOL :D

I have never parallel parked in Melbourne - avoidance. However, the reverse park is hugely popular. Start practicing 😛

1 hour ago, Mel-B said:

I have never parallel parked in Melbourne - avoidance. However, the reverse park is hugely popular. Start practicing 😛

*facepalm* LMAO!!!

Thanks!! LOL

16 hours ago, Gecko said:

How long so these letters normally take, any idea?

Sent in an email and got confirmation within a week that it was ready for pick up.  Luckily I have family in JHB so I arranged for them to pick up.

Called a CDL (confirmation of drivers license)

I got it from the local vehicle registration place cashier R20

Some service centers (license issue place amongst other things) in Oz will ask for it, some won't.

If they ask, and you don't have, just go to another place, or go back another day and deal with a different person.

I wasn't asked. Beware its an expensive piece of plastic....

On 10/31/2018 at 8:21 AM, March2 said:

Sent in an email and got confirmation within a week that it was ready for pick up.  Luckily I have family in JHB so I arranged for them to pick up.

Yup - the letters were ready 3 days after I requested them, had them picked up by an amazing company in JHB and delivered to my door the very next morning! I was so impressed by the speed of it all!!

Well that is very weird. They should standardise it. One thing Australia loves more than anything, is creating extra paperwork. 

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for my confirmation from RTMC on the 7th of November. Contacted me this morning (12th) to collect.