Driver's licence confirmation letter

Sunet

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone recently gone through the process to get a letter confirming that your driver's licence is valid?

I have been mailing and calling the RTMC but no luck in getting anyone to help.

Hi @Sunet did you try emailing the following people.  I have read on FB that some people have contacted these email addresses and where responded to.  I think you would have to make arrangements to fetch though.  

E-mail: 
Info@rtmc.co.za
tshwarelom@rtmc.co.za
davidm@rtmc.co.za
rhodad@rtmc.co.za

• 4 weeks later...

So, just following up on this.I have read a few forum discussions around this and some say you need the letter and some say you don't. Before I start this frustrating process of trying to get this letter - i just want to check if this is really needed.

I hope this helps...

I've been in Straya for 11 years now and only did my car licence (08) when I came over.

Recently however, I tried to get my motorcycle license transferred as linked below and they requested a confirmation letter .(see scanned)

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/moving-to-nsw.html

Recognised Foreign Licensing Authority B: If you hold a licence issued by a licensing authority in one of these places and are 25 years or older, you do not have to pass knowledge and driving tests when applying for a car (class C) or rider (class R) NSW licence:

• Bulgaria
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Estonia
  • Hong Kong (Important: Hong Kong licence holders must have held a Hong Kong licence for a minimum period of 12 months)
  • Hungary
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Serbia
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Africa
  • South Korea (Republic of Korea)
  • Taiwan

If you hold a licence issued by a licensing authority on List B and are under 25, you must pass the relevant knowledge and driving tests.

Non-recognised licensing authorities: If you hold a licence issued by any other licensing authority, you will need to pass knowledge and driving tests when applying for an equivalent NSW licence.

Important: In some cases, the recognised licensing authority exemption may not apply, for example:

• If you hold a licence from an external territory of a place on List A or List B, you must pass knowledge and driving/riding tests
  • If you failed a NSW knowledge test before 17 January 2005, you must re-sit and pass the relevant knowledge test
  • If you failed a driving or riding test before 20 May 2002, you must re-take and pass the relevant driving or riding test
  • If you hold a licence issued by a licensing authority on List B, and you failed a knowledge test and/or driving test before 18 February 2013 you must re-take and pass the relevant test

confirmation letter pg1.jpeg

confirmation letter pg2.gif

this could help.

see attached email from David...

send to: CTC@rtmc.co.za

email from David.JPG

Thanks @Mikec

So eager to get this letter even if i dont need it. Leaving in December on our one way ticket.

Does anyone know of a company that will Collect and courier these letters down to Durban?

10 minutes ago, FingersCrossed said:

Thanks @Mikec

So eager to get this letter even if i dont need it. Leaving in December on our one way ticket.

Does anyone know of a company that will Collect and courier these letters down to Durban?

@FingersCrossed, so are we.  Will follow your post to get more info.  When are you leaving in December?  We are flying out from Durban as well on our one way ticket on the 27th.

Fly out on one way ticket on 7th December yet spending some time in Dubai on a small holiday to break the trip up a bit then heading to Australia.

1 hour ago, FingersCrossed said:

Fly out on one way ticket on 7th December yet spending some time in Dubai on a small holiday to break the trip up a bit then heading to Australia.

WOW awesome. Enjoy and all the best 

We are currently in NSW and definitely need the letter.

The same David on the email example is the person we are dealing with, and still waiting.....

You can arrange for a querier company to collect on your behalf. I know of someone that used DHL for this.

Wow this is all news to me. Does it only apply in NSW or other states too? We landed 12 years ago and back in those days I had to re-do my test. My DH waited for PR and got lucky, he just showed his SA  licence and they issued him a QLD one, but this was maybe 7 years ago. Paperwork!! 😜

Hello

Just a update on this. I took a chance on the 15th October and emailed the RTMC contact center (ctc@rtmc.co.za) from details I found on their website.

I provided a copy of the ID's and asked for a drivers confirmation letter.

This morning (18th October) I got a email from them saying the confirmation letters were ready. So now I am just going to find a courier company to pick up the letters for me and all is done.

Very impressed. 

• Like 1

Does anyone perhaps know whether it would be an issue for the Australian authorities if, at the time of converting your SA driver's licence to an Australian driver's licence, the letter from RTMC is a few months old already?  What I'm trying to establish, is there a requirement that the letter had to have been issued in say, the last few months or so?  I was a bit too pro-active and our letters will be a few months old by the time we do the conversion ... 😉

Hi OLVD

I converted my drivers licence recently and was not asked for an RTMC letter/document.  I did not even apply for it.

I went to VicRoads in Exhibition Street Melbourne and  just took my visa letter, passport and SA licence which had already expired by the way🤓 and my new  licence came by post 2 weeks later.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sunet said:

We finally got our letters! Yeah!!!

Finally....good on you!!

Wonder what took them so long with yours.

I sent off my email request and got another email just 3 days later saying it's ready for pick up.  Now I am pondering the best way to get it to me in Durban.

@March2 - I used http://xoc.co.za/ and it cost me R130 for them to collect and courier it down to me in Durban. Very good service. Just make sure you add in a comment for them to contact you and then phone them and let them know your ID number as it is needed when they collect the letter.

If you are getting more than one letter, let them know all the ID's and they will put it all in a single flyer for you. I got 3 letters collected and sent to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FingersCrossed said:

@March2 - I used http://xoc.co.za/ and it cost me R130 for them to collect and courier it down to me in Durban. Very good service. Just make sure you add in a comment for them to contact you and then phone them and let them know your ID number as it is needed when they collect the letter.

If you are getting more than one letter, let them know all the ID's and they will put it all in a single flyer for you. I got 3 letters collected and sent to me.

Thanks so much for that @FingersCrossed...will get on it.  

Did you just choose this courier company or do they specifically do this for people requesting these docs from RTC?   Like how Postnet is the company you use for PCC collection from Pretoria?

I have used them before when I needed a letter collected from Cape Town and couriered up to me. The nice thing is you can pay as you book it which makes it a little easier. 

• Thanks 1