190 Skilled - Engineer - 65 points

Leodownunder

Hi Guys, 

I can potentially achieve the minimum of 65 points for a 190 Skilled Visa if i receive a successful assessment from EA and have superior English on IELTS. 

My question is, will the minimum 65 points be suffice to receive a Visa, or am I wasting my time? If for example, the average round points is above the minimum (lets say 70), do the applicants with 65 points get rejected? 

I would appreciate any feedback.

You will only be rejected on invitation rounds if you have less than the minimum.

If you apply with the minimum points you will just wait much much longer for an invitation.  If it's a very popular field you might not receive an invitation at all.

Have a look at this post of mine that explains how the invitation rounds pick based on points: http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/48970-updating-eoi/?tab=comments#comment-451638 

4 hours ago, Leodownunder said:

Hi Guys, 

I can potentially achieve the minimum of 65 points for a 190 Skilled Visa if i receive a successful assessment from EA and have superior English on IELTS. 

My question is, will the minimum 65 points be suffice to receive a Visa, or am I wasting my time? If for example, the average round points is above the minimum (lets say 70), do the applicants with 65 points get rejected? 

I would appreciate any feedback.

You can potentially obtain an invite for a 190 visa with 65 points (the 190 invitation process is different to that of the 189).  Note that some states may have different requirements above the e.g. 65 points requirement.  

Does the 65 points include the 5 points you receive for State Nomination? If not then you would ofcourse stand an even better chance

Thank You guys for your feedback, much appreciated. 

My 65 points include 5-points for State Nomination. 

Hi Leodownunder

Optionally you can also search for a job offer, apply for Temporary Skills Shortage Work Visa and then apply for the 190 once in Australia. With some companies it may be quicker to get the Temp visa because they are listed with the government. 

Also dont wait to be invited for the 190. I would say contact the states directly and apply with them for the 190 sponsorship where possible. I have only applied for North Terr previously and they have a whole online system on which you upload your paperwork. They were willing to sponsor for the regional visa  (2yr) as my skill was not on their list.

However I went the above route - job offer in queensland -> temp TSS visa -> and hopefully I can then apply for 190 after 6 months as my skill is not on their list for people outside Austr but on the list if you are working there........ So I hope it doesnt change in the next 6 months (I fly next week)......

Bottomline is that it is very different for each skill and for each Aust state. But even if your plan is to go directly for the 190, try to make as much contacts as you can.

Good luck!

Hi Leo,

Your options will very much depend on what area of Engineering you work in as different states are sponsoring the different occupations.

Feel free to drop me an email with your CV and I will review your options for you.

Regards